Author Topic: COMPLETED, THANKS! Mary Ingerton, nee McWilliams b-1880  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
  • 5th generation Kiwis living in Australia
    • View Profile
COMPLETED, THANKS! Mary Ingerton, nee McWilliams b-1880
« on: Wednesday 25 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
I believe that my g-grandfather Samuel McWilliams was the father of a daughter (Mary) to a woman named Edith in 1880.  :o This was the year that Samuel McWilliams married Elizabeth Stevens and had five children, three of whom died in infancy. I found this info through stumbling across the Papers Past link at http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=search&d=EP19191018.2.4&srpos=1&e=-------10--1----2samuel+mcwilliams-- which was a marriage notice for Mary and which gave the correct family residential address in Wellington. Although Samuel was at the time still married to my g-grandmother Elizabeth, Mary was noted only as a daughter of Samuel. Tracing backwards through the BDM site, I found that Mary McWillliam (no 's') was born to Samuel McWilliam (no 's') and Edith in 1880.

In 1903 Mary McWilliams (with an 's') married Thomas Ingerton, and had three children, Violet May in 1904, Thomas John in 1906, and Frances Ivy Elizabeth in 1907. According to Papers Past, Thomas and Mary Ingerton divorced in 1915 after Mary left Thomas and took up with one Charles Toy, and in 1919 she married one Gee Lee under her maiden name of McWilliams. I lost track of her after that.

According to Papers Past Mary Ingerton was a very talented opera singer during the period 1910-1912. This ties back to a claim by my grandfather that his sister was a renowned opera singer, but I could never find evidence of his having a sister surviving past infancy. It now appears that Mary McWilliam (no 's') was grandfather William David McWilliams' HALF-sister! This is why I couldn't find her!  :D

I would love to make contact with any Ingerton family members of this lineage if they are out there at all.

Cheers - Bugly
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
RAYNEL, ex Channel Islands
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
McWILLIAMS, ex Northern Ireland
ADAMS, ex England

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ingerton, nee McWilliams b-1880
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Having looked at similar case
school records were great for seeing who the child was living with and confirming guardianship
eg can see a Mary McWilliams who is school wellington previously Christchurch admitted 1891 aged 11yrs

There are several other mary McWilliams

On the NZSG index CD the 1919 marriage is recorded under MARY INGERTON
BYe
Althea

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
There are a few INGERTON names on oldfriends.co.nz
given how uncommon the name is NZ it would be worth logging in and making contact
Bye
Althea

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Althea - thanks for that, and I will follow it up.

The family DID move from Christchurch to Wellington, and I have also been trying to date the move. Does the NZSG records show this would have been 1891? It also lends to the suggestion that Mary grew up as part of the McWilliams family, hence the later suggestion of her being a sister. The other siblings were William David McWilliams (b.1884) and Samuel McWilliams (b.1889). Were they first enrolled in Wellington in 1891 too?

Thanks - Bugly
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
ADAMS, ex England

Offline Thamesite2017

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 10 02:41 BST (UK) »
Are you def that Samuel was born 1889
one born 1888 at Mt Cook Boys admitted 1896 left 1901, destination Engalnd

DAvid is at Mt Cook Boys b 1884 last day 1897 destination Telegraph

Bye
Althea

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 10 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Althea - yes, both born in Christchurch to Samuel and Elizabeth McWilliams. William David b.22/08/1884 (BDM 1884/15351) and Samuel b.01/06/1889 (BDM 1889/9568). Three other siblings (Matilda, Sarah and Samuel#1) died in infancy.

Mary McWilliam (no 's') b.1880 (BDM 1880/6455) to Samuel McWilliam (no 's') and 'Edith'.

The family moved from Christchurch to 33 Jesse Street in (Te Aro?) Wellington after 1889 sometime. Could be as early as 1890/1891 if school records confirm.

I emailed the Ingertons at the 'old friends' site, so will see what happens.

Cheers - Bugly
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
ADAMS, ex England

Offline megzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 10 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My husband is the grandson of Mary Ingerton, nee McWilliams, his father was Thomas John Ingerton, b 1906.  We received email from you today, will reply to it sometime over the weekend.

Cheers.

Offline Bugly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 August 10 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My husband is the grandson of Mary Ingerton, nee McWilliams, his father was Thomas John Ingerton, b 1906.  We received email from you today, will reply to it sometime over the weekend.

Cheers.

Wow, two days from the initial post and a contact from Megzie! ;D I'm looking forward to the contact and hopefully we can swap some family history! Thanks Althea for your assistance too!

Bugly
COWAN, ex Scotland
LOCHEAD, ex Scotland
KENNEDY, ex Scotland
SCANDLYN, ex Cornwall
ADAMS, ex England