Author Topic: Ferguson-Comrie Family (Comrie Scotland) 1800's  (Read 5863 times)

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ferguson-Comrie Family (Comrie Scotland) 1800's
« on: Friday 09 April 10 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am just starting to get in to the 1800's in my research and I have found some relatives with name Comrie, McQueen and Ferguson.

My great-great grandmother was Ann Jemima Comrie born in Blackford Perth about 1839.  Ann's father was Donald Comrie born in Comrie, Perth abt 1806.  Donald Comrie was married to Janet Comrie (I believe maiden name was McGregor).  Janet (McGregor) Comrie was born in Comrie, Perth in abt 1797.  Donald and Janet Comrie lived in Muthill Village as per the 1851 census with their daughters Ann and Catherine Comrie (born abt 1837 Blackford Perth).  Ann Jemima Comrie married Duncan Ferguson on 1 June 1860 in Muthill.  She was listed as a domestic servant at the time of her marriage and he was a painter.  Janet (McGregor) Comrie was listed as deceased by this date.

Duncan Ferguson and Ann (Comrie) Ferguson seem to have stayed in Muthill for a couple of years and then moved around.  Their children are as follows as far as I could tell from census records.  Jessie/Janet born Muthill 1861, Daniel born Muthill 1864, Duncan born Glasgow 1866, Isabella born Grangemouth, Stirlingshire 1869, Elizabeth born Lauristown, Stirlingshire 1871, James born Glasgow 1873 and Peter born Glasgow 1875 (my great grandfather). 

Peter Ferguson worked as a Mercantile Clerk in Glasgow in 1900 (lived at 18 Watt Street prior to marriage and at 15 Cartvale Rd after marriage).  He married Agnes Robina McQueen in Glasgow on 5 January 1900.  (Her parents were Hugh McQueen and Annie Thomson McQueen who was listed as deceased at the time of Peter and Agnes's marriage).  Peter and Agnes had Duncan Comrie Ferguson on 2Dec1900, Norman Hugh Ferguson in about 1907 and Mabel Primrose Ferguson in about 1913.  Peter supposedly emigrated to Canada in about 1913 (can not find his ship records) and disappeared.  Duncan emigrated to Canada in 1916 to look for his father.  Agnes Robina and her other two children Norman and Mabel arrived in Halifax NS Canada on 20 Mar 1918 and then travelled over land to Cambridge/Toronto ON where they met up with Duncan.

If anyone has any further information relating to Ann Jemima Comrie, her parents or any these Comrie relations, I would love to hear from you.  I would also love any Ferguson information as well, as it is my goal to eventually find what happened to my great grandfather Peter Ferguson, as well as trace Fergusons further back in Scotland.

Thank you.  Jennifer.

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson-Comrie Family (Comrie Scotland) 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 10 April 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Peter Ferguson is on Ancestry Shipping Records.
He travelled to New York in 1913.Described as a Clerk from Glasgow aged 38 with wife Agnes as next of kin.
Hope this helps :)

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 April 10 16:01 BST (UK) »
>Ann Jemima Comrie married Duncan Ferguson on 1 June 1860 in Muthill
Who was Duncan's father and was he alive at the time of the marriage? That info should be listed on the marriage cert. Cheers, Colin Ferguson

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 April 10 16:06 BST (UK) »
Peter Ferguson is on Ancestry Shipping Records.
He travelled to New York in 1913.Described as a Clerk from Glasgow aged 38 with wife Agnes as next of kin.
Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much!  This sounds like him!  I never expected him to travel to the USA because he was always talked baout in family as in he sailed to Canada and was never found again! Thank you very much for the lead.  :D

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 April 10 16:11 BST (UK) »
>Ann Jemima Comrie married Duncan Ferguson on 1 June 1860 in Muthill
Who was Duncan's father and was he alive at the time of the marriage? That info should be listed on the marriage cert. Cheers, Colin Ferguson

Thanks for the reply.  Duncan's family is listed on hois marriage certificate as father James Ferguson (Shoemaker) and mother as Janet Ferguson (maiden name McDonald).

Ann's parents are listed as Donald Comrie (Labourer) and Janet Comrie (maiden name McGregor - deceased).  However, when I look at the most possible birth registry for their first child Janet(Jessie) 5 Mar 1861 Muthill Village the signature and Qualification of Informant (of the birth to the registrar) is listed as Daniel Comrie - Labourer Muthill Grandfather (instead of Donald for some reason).

Thanks for any further help!

Offline ColinUSA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 April 10 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Jennifer,
According to the 1881 census of Scotland, Duncan was born about 1836 in Lochearnhead. Within the Balquhidder parish records is a Duncan Ferguson christened 17 Aug 1834 the son of James FERGUSON and Janet MCDONALD of Lochearnhead. Duncan's siblings include Janet chr. 21 Jan 1833 and Peter chr. 20 May 1836.
Cheers,
Colin

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 April 10 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer
Have you seen the 1841 census from Blackford

Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    COMRIE   Donald   M   35   Male Servant    Perth       
    COMRIE   Janet   F   35       Perth       
    COMRIE   Peter   M   5       Perth       
    COMRIE   Elisabeth   F   5       Perth       
    COMRIE   Catharine   F   4       Perth       
    COMRIE   Ann   F   2       Perth       
All the above courtesy of Freecen
http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Bruce!  Yes, thank you very much, I did see this census and have added details to my file.  I appreciate your help and interest.  If you ever see anything else I would love to have you pass it on!!  Thank you again!  :D
Jennifer

Offline JenniferFT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 April 10 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Jennifer,
According to the 1881 census of Scotland, Duncan was born about 1836 in Lochearnhead. Within the Balquhidder parish records is a Duncan Ferguson christened 17 Aug 1834 the son of James FERGUSON and Janet MCDONALD of Lochearnhead. Duncan's siblings include Janet chr. 21 Jan 1833 and Peter chr. 20 May 1836.
Cheers,
Colin

Thank you very much Colin!!  I appreciate your help!   :D
Jennifer