Author Topic: CARTER Donald Maynard, artist, Babbacombe  (Read 2250 times)

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CARTER Donald Maynard, artist, Babbacombe
« on: Friday 14 August 09 00:40 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any knowledge of the artwork, or the family, of Donald Maynard CARTER (1899-1976) who relocated from London to Torquay in 1962-64 when he and his wife, Phyllis Edith fmly ELDER were resident in Clovercombe, Higher Downs Road, Babbacombe.  In 1976 they moved to a Rest Home at Rozel, Torquay.

Does Clovercombe still stand, and can anyone confirm that it overlooks Oddicombe Beach and the Cliff Railway?

I would very much like to learn what sort of artist was Donald Maynard CARTER, who was descended from my WEBB family of artists.

With thanks,

Jill Statton
Adelaide, South Australia

From Adelaide, South Australia, I am primarily interested in the WEBB family:
William - Tamworth STS, Melton Mowbray LEI
Mrs Sarah nee BINDLEY - Ealing MDX
William Thomas Bindley - South Australia
Allan - Calcutta, India
Edward Walter - Leamington WAR
Matthew - Paddington LND
Arthur Charles - South Australia
Sarah Frances - Bendigo VIC Australia
Francis - Macclesfield CHS
Mrs Charlotte HAMPSON - Doncaster YKS
George - Camberwell SRY
Charles - South Australia

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: CARTER Donald Maynard, artist, Babbacombe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 August 09 02:02 BST (UK) »
hi...i found an estate agent on the web advertising the sale of "Clovercombe". i checked the postcode and came up with this
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tq13ld&hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

so,,yes to all 3 questions regarding clovercombe.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillStatton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 August 09 04:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Gorton Boy.  I did a Google search myself last night and found this reference only to have my computer jam on the site.  Same just now so something untoward going on.  However, it would appear that Clovercombe is still there unless the listing is an old one.

So, can any local remember the residents of Clovercombe some 40 odd years ago?  I assume it would be a substantial house?

From Adelaide, South Australia, I am primarily interested in the WEBB family:
William - Tamworth STS, Melton Mowbray LEI
Mrs Sarah nee BINDLEY - Ealing MDX
William Thomas Bindley - South Australia
Allan - Calcutta, India
Edward Walter - Leamington WAR
Matthew - Paddington LND
Arthur Charles - South Australia
Sarah Frances - Bendigo VIC Australia
Francis - Macclesfield CHS
Mrs Charlotte HAMPSON - Doncaster YKS
George - Camberwell SRY
Charles - South Australia

Offline MIGUEL MINTZER

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone any knowledge of the artwork, or the family, of Donald Maynard CARTER (1899-1976) who relocated from London to Torquay in 1962-64 when he and his wife, Phyllis Edith fmly ELDER were resident in Clovercombe, Higher Downs Road, Babbacombe.  In 1976 they moved to a Rest Home at Rozel, Torquay.

Hello. Im looking for my ancestors on Elder family, I believe that Phyllis Edith Elder was a daughter of Alexander Henry Elder, and Catherine Arnold and G- daughter of Rev George Elder of Greenwich. Could you check these data? Thanks in advance.

Any descendants?

Im descendant of a brother of Alexander H.

Offline Vanessa Griffith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 May 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see it's nearly eleven years since your posting.  I wonder if you're still looking for information. 

During the 70s and 80s I used to live a mile from Higher Downs Road in Babbacombe, Torquay at a time when I bought two artworks by Donald Maynard Carter from a gallery in Totnes.  I took one off the wall last night to have another look at it and then, on a whim, decided to do a Google search of his name - that's how I came across your post.

Strangely, I had no idea that I was living so close to him or that he even lived in Devon!

He exhibited between 1934 and 1940.  He was a wood engraver and at one time lived at 44 Arodene Road, Brixton Hill, London.  (1934) Kensington (1940).  Exhibited with the New English Art Club (2), Royal Academy (1) and Royal Society of British Artists (5).  (This was taken from a book at the time of purchasing the prints - sorry I can't tell you more about this).

I attach two images of the wood engravings that I have - not good quality images as they were shot with my phone.  There's some shadowing over them caused by my arm!  The christmas tree image is about 10cm high and the other one 12cm high.

I think they are quite lovely - both very charming and skilled.  Bottom left of each image are his initials - DMC.

I hope this is of some help - I too am a keen genealogist.

Best wishes
Vanessa Griffith