Author Topic: Wakeman/Bitton/Schwartz/Gibbs/King - 1891 and 1901 census  (Read 1821 times)

Offline edeigan

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wakeman/Bitton/Schwartz/Gibbs/King - 1891 and 1901 census
« on: Saturday 19 August 06 06:44 BST (UK) »
I would appreciate any help anyone can give me in trying to find Abigail (or Abby) Wakeman or her children in the 1891 or 1901 census. 

She was born as Abigail Wakeman, on Feb. 8 1961 at 4 Dorset Street in Whitechapel / Spitalfields.   She is found in the 1861 census as Abby Wakeman, age 2 months, living with her family, and in the 1871 census as Abbie Wakeman, and living with her sister, Lucy (Louisa) Jacobs.

On 28 Sep 1878 she married (as Abigail Bitton (Bitton was her mother's maiden name), and listed as being age 20, with address 6 Widegate Street, Bishopsgate, and father James Bitton, general dealer (who is in prior censuses as James Wakeman), deceased) to Henry Schwartz, listed as being age 22, a tailor, or 13 Windsor Street, Bishopsgate, with father Abraham Schwartz, deceased, also a tailor.  They were married at the Register office in London City, and the witnesses were listed as Joseph Raphael and Phoebe Bitton.  They both appear to have lied about their ages (which would have been 17 for Abby and about 18 for Henry), and his father Abraham didn't die until 1904.

Abby and Henry were married again on 22 Aug 1880 in the Jewish religion, at Scarboro Street Synagogue in Whitechapel.  Henry again listed his age as 22, now correct, his address as 27 Pelham Street, and his father as Abraham Schwartz, tailor (no mention this time of him being deceased).  Abby got married this time as Abby Bitton, age 22 (close, as she was 21), with father John Bitton, dead, and her address as 6 Pelham Street.  I have no other record of them having lived on Pelham Street, and I the street numbers are different, even though they were already married and had a child.

They are seen in the 1881 census, with surname Schwartz, with his name misspelled as Harry and hers as Abbigail, with their daughter Sarah, at 20 Hunt Street in Whitechapel.  They had two more daughters, Rose (or Rosie) in Nov 1881 and Amelia in August 1883.  For a long time I have searched for them in the 1891 census, and have not found any of them. 

I have a note that said that Abby and Henry had divorced in about 1885 or 1889.

Abigail is believed to have married at least one more time to someone with a last name of King, and that this King had two sons, one named John who was killed in WW1, and another named David who was a sergeant-major in the Royal artillery in WW1 and who may have died in Central America in about 1931, and they supposedly also had a daughter together named Dinah (who married a Harry Blythe).  Unfortunately, I have yet to find any documents to support this, except for:  a death certificate for Dinah Blythe (who was married to Harry Blythe, was born on 4 Feb 1895 according to her death certificate from 1974, but no maiden surname listed on it).  I can find no Dinah King born in 1895.  Mr. King supposedly eventually moved to Australia, but Abigail did not go with him, and Abigail supposedly died in 1928 or 1929.

I have also found that on 11 Oct 1892 Abigail Wakeman (listed as age 27 with father James, deceased) married a Joseph Gibbs.  Abby and Joseph Gibbs had a son Joseph born 15 Jan 1894, but Joseph (Sr) died on 8 Feb 1894 of typhoid fever, and their son died 2 weeks later. 

I have not been able to find Abigail in the 1901 census, or her daughter Amelia (Sarah had married in 1896 surname Springall, and I eventally found daughter, Rose, with the surname Black, which is English translation of Schwartz).  I have not been able to find Abby's marriage to a King or her death certificate.
Deigan (England - Bath and Hampstead), Pullin (Gloucestershire), Ellen Mary Warr, Tucker (High Littleton / Hallatrow), Bitton and Wakeman (London)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Wakeman/Bitton/Schwartz/Gibbs/King - 1891 and 1901 census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 August 06 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi, Have tried to make sense of your family tree.
All I have found, you most likely have it, but here goes:-

1871 census Elizabeth Wakeman 17 General Domestic Servant born Spitalfields
She is working in a pub run by a Moses Daniels 40 born St.George in the East.
Middleton Arms 38 High Street Whitechapel Norton Folgate.

I have listed the next two in 1891 because of family names.

RG12/275 folio 137  No.1 Parliament Court Whitechapel 1891
Nathan Wakeman General Shop Labourer 40 born Spitalfields
Esther 30 born Stepney
John 12
Nathan 11
Isaac 9
Moss or Mose 5
Louisa 3
Dinah 1 All children born Bethnal Green except Dinah born Spitalfields.

RG12/269 folio 136  65 Hamilton Road Bethnal Green 1891

John Bitton Cigar Maker 33 born Bethnal Green
Esther 33                                          "      "
Mary 14                                            "       "
Harry 10                                           "       "
Rebecca 9                                        "        "
Amelia 7      born New York America
Abraham 4 born New York
John 6 months born London

Good Luck

Jennifer

Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline edeigan

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wakeman/Bitton/Schwartz/Gibbs/King - 1891 and 1901 census
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 August 06 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for trying to help!  Yes, I have found the 1871 census notation on Elizabeth Wakeman (who was a sister of Abigail) and the 1891 report on Nathan Wakeman and his family.  Nathan Wakeman was a brother of Abigail Wakeman.  I have also come across that John Bitton, but I don't think that he is related.

Other than Nathan and Elizabeth, Abigail's Wakeman's other siblings were Louisa (who was later Jacobs and then Raphael), Abraham, Ishemy / John, Dinah, Phoebe, and Joshua, with parents James and Sarah.  I have found a lot of census information on most of them; Abigail is just a puzzle to me as I have not been able to find her in either the 1891 or 1901 censuses.

Eric
Deigan (England - Bath and Hampstead), Pullin (Gloucestershire), Ellen Mary Warr, Tucker (High Littleton / Hallatrow), Bitton and Wakeman (London)