Author Topic: Morrison New Cumnock  (Read 2570 times)

Offline graygen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Morrison New Cumnock
« on: Tuesday 14 December 04 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Wondered if anyone can help with my "brickwall".

Have traced back through my father's line to George MORRISON b 20 Jul 1813  Rigg New Cumnock Ayrshire. Have copy of parochial register entry but it only gives father - James MORRISON . I was hoping for details of both parents to look for marriage certificate and more clues.

Can anyone advise next step? Or has anyone have George and James in their tree...

Thanks
SUSSEX - Burton, Gray, Kennard, Sheppard, Breach, Grayling  SURREY - King
ABERDEEN(Cairnie, Gartly, Old Machad- Pirie, Morrison, Ogg, Munro,Alexander,   LANARK - Meharry, Lundey  MIDLOTHIAN - Lockhart, Archibald, Higgins DUNBARTON - Mc Culloch, Morrison, McLellan, Semple, Brown, Hutchings,

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Morrison New Cumnock
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 05 12:44 BST (UK) »
Rigg is a farm in the west of New Cumnock parish.   Morrison doesn't seem to be a  too common a name in that parish.   There was a James Morrison married to a Kathrine McFarland  in the right timescale OPR Marriage ref    NEW CUMNOCK    608/00 0001 FR94.  Hope this helps
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Dizzieannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
18 years down the line.  George would probably be the brother of my 3 x great grandfather James Morrison, born Rigg, New Cumnock 1808 to James Morrison and Kathrine (Chrsitina) McFarland.
I'm interested in where the opr details for James and Kathrine's marriage were found above,as I can't find them anywhere at all.
Graygen, do you have a gedmatch number?
Anne

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 13:23 GMT (UK) »
James Morrison and Katherine McFarland had two children baptised in New Cumnock
James, 23 August 1808
John, 28 October 1810

Then there is your George in 1813, and another child with father James Morrison and no mother listed: Alexander, 31 July 1816.

Why not take a look at those and see what they say about the parents' residence? If James, John and Alexander were also born at Rigg, then it would be reasonable to suppose they were all brothers.

Agnes14, what year was that marriage? I don't seem to be able to find it on SP.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dizzieannie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 January 22 13:39 GMT (UK) »
hi forfarian

yes James and John were born at Rigg, and they are most certainly brothers of george. i haven't researched Alexander yet. the person asked the original question in 2004.  my query is particularly about the marriage details mentioned by the other poster.  like you, i can't find them. sincere apologies for the lower case, I am multi tasking with a phone in other hand.
Anne