Author Topic: Louise Wasduer Simpson/Joseph Hunt  (Read 3103 times)

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louise Wasduer Simpson/Joseph Hunt
« on: Wednesday 15 September 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
Hello -

I would be grateful if anyone could shed any light on a lady named Louise Wasduer Simpson, born in Minnisota in 1883. It appears she married my grandmother's brother, Joseph Hunt, in Michigan in 1913, but I have no idea as to what happened to either of them after that, other than the fact that Joseph was buried back in Dublin in 1954.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

craggagh.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Louise Wasduer Simpson/Joseph Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
There is another transcription on the Family Search Labs site which lists Louise as Louise Wardner Simpson.  Oddly enough, there appears to be a marriage between Louise Wardner and Joseph Hunt in Ontario, Canada on 23 Dec. 1912.  They are both listed as residing in Detroit and the birthplace seem to match the Michigan marriage info.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:31 BST (UK) »
It appears that Louise is in the 1920 Census in Detroit as Louise Wardner.  The birth year is off by about 10 years, but other family members seem to match - she is with mother Rose, brother Frank, and Rose's sister Sarah Hall.  Louise is listed as married and her occupation is servant in a house.  Joseph is not with her.

Do you have a date and/or place of birth for Joseph?

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html
There are two entries for the marriage (one labelled "application only"). Her parents were Frank Wardner and Rose.

I believe she was not born 1883 but 1874. The 1900 census shows Louise Simpson in Michigan, divorced, 1 child none living, with her mother Rose and some siblings. I think they're on the 1880 census with Louisa as "Fannie L".
Her first marriage is shown on the above site as in 1895 to Henry Simpson, and the birth/death of their daughter Lila/Lyla/Loyla R. Simpson in 1897.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for all that. It seems that there may be more to this than meets the eye - I'm going to have to dig a little deeper.

Your assistance is much appreciated.

craggagh,

Offline craggagh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hello shellyesq -

Joseph Hunt was born on 31st May, 1890 and his parents' address is given as
5 Jones Terrace, off Jones Road, Dublin.

Strangely enough, he was  christened twice - on 6th June, 1890 in the parish of St Mary, presumably because his father, Thomas Edmund Hunt was Church of Ireland, and on 27th June, 1890 in the parish of St Agatha, Roman Catholic, his mother Helena's (Clarke) religion.

Thanks for your interest.

craggagh.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 20:06 BST (UK) »
I found Joseph's passport application.  It says he was living in Cleveland, Ohio and had been naturalized at the Court of Common Pleas in Cuyahoga County, Ohio on 29 Sep. 1921.  He planned to go to the British Isles about Nov. 1921 to visit relatives and planned to return within a year.  He was working as a clerk.  He said he lived in the US from 1910 to 1921 in Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin.  There is a fuzzy picture of him.  There is no mention of his wife either way.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
I also found Joseph's WWI Draft Registration Card from 5 Jun. 1917.  He was living at 465 Emerson, Detroit, Michigan.  He was working as a cashier for American Butter and Cheese, 31 Griswold, Detroit.  He listed himself as single and says his mother was solely dependent on him for support.

Seems likely that he and Louise were divorced, separated, or otherwise apart.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
There is a Joseph Hunt in the 1930 Census who seems to be a possible match, although he's listed as born in England.

1930 Census, Detroit, Mich., 6303 Fourteenth St.
Cozens, Adolph, age 48, married, b. Belgium, parents b. Belgium, hardward store clerk

wife Bertha, age 54, b. Ohio, parents b. Ohio

brother-in-law Joseph Hunt, age 40, divorced, age at 1st marriage - 18 (although that looks kind of light, like it was erased), b. England, parents b. England, immigrated 1915, naturalized, clerk - charity mission, not a veteran