Author Topic: Little Hermitage Street, St George in the East 1841?COMPLETED THANKS  (Read 9757 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Little Hermitage Street, St George in the East 1841?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 July 07 11:26 BST (UK) »
Have now found Little Hermitage Street on the proceedings of the Old Bailey web site www.hrionline.ac.uk
It shows that Lt Hermitage St was the first turning on the right once you had crossed over Hermitage Bridge which spanned Hermitage Entrance to the London Docks (west), it ran northwards to Red Maid Lane. Gt Hermitage Street joined Lt Hermitage Street about half way up and to the right. There was a Brewhouse Yard to the left (and joining) Little Hermitage Street which had a small turning connecting the two perhaps this was Brewhouse Lane?

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Little Hermitage Street, St George in the East 1841?COMPLETED REQUEST THANKS
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 July 07 11:30 BST (UK) »
Many thanks  :-*

With a combination of Old Rowley and Barbara's help I have now found James and Ann Pullen nearby(Brewhouse Lane!) whom I think are George's parents.

Have passed all this info on to my pal,whose rellies these are.
He can now work it all out. ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline antznest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 August 07 16:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Carole

Who is your relative? I have just found out that louisa sophia is a possible for my great great grandmother! Do you know who she was married to?
Love to hear from you

Jacqui (otherwise antznest)
darkin,fraley,goody,berry,hills,hemmings,brimstone,gunn,pullen,geenes

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 August 07 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui

This is not my family but belongs to a good friend of mine,whom I help with his tree.

Louisa Sophia Pullen married Heyward James Frederick Chambers in Mile End in Sept 1/4 of 1863

If this still sounds like your rellie,please send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with my pal.Their oldest daughter Helena Sarah Chambers married John Richards in Bethnal Green in 1888.

All the best

Carol

Offline Downsman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little Hermitage Street, St George in the East 1841?COMPLETED THANKS
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 December 10 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

I was interested to learn of your own interest in Little Hermiage Street.  My ancestors lived at at Nos. 8 & 9 Little Hermitage Street, where they pursued the honorable trade of slop sellers (i.e they sold sailors wearing apparel and bedding), during the first half of the 19th Century.  My ggg-grandfather had been apprentice to a slop seller called Robert Martin from c.1785 till he acquired the business from the Martin famil in 1824, following the death of Robert Martin.  The family remained in occupation there until c.1855 when the business closed and the premises were taken over by a beer retailer.

I have made something of a study of Little Hermitage Street, largely throught the records of the Sun Life Inusrance Co. held at the London Metropolitan Archives (they used to be at the Guild Hall Library till about a year ago).  In January 1814 No. 3 Little Hermitage Street was occupied by a chandler called Archibald McDonald, but in December of that year the premises were taken over by John Dannant a grocer & cheesemonger.

Little Hermitage Street still exists at the east end of Wapping High Street, but the name was changed in the 1930s to Orton Street, named after Arthur Orton, the famous Tichborne claimant, whose father kept a butcher's shop a little further along in Wapping High Street.  Needless to say it has changed beyond all recognition and runs between two modern buildings of steel and glass.

Hope you find this helpful

Richard

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 December 10 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Downsman and welcome to Rootschat!

Well this is a surprise to hear from someone after 5 years!

My friend who's family this is was very interested to hear about your possible link,as you mention a John Dannant.

He has a Sarah Damant who married George Evans Pullen on 24 DEC 1828   at Saint Leonards, Shoreditch.Possible same family?

To be able to send PM's (Personal messages) Rootschat requires you to have made at least 3 postings,so reply here a couple more times and I can put you in touch with my pal Steve.

Best wishes.........and a Merry Christmas.

Carol

Offline Downsman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 December 10 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

I hadn't realised that your request re. Little Hermitage Street (LHS) went back 5 years, but better late than never!  I'm glad your friend found the information I provided was of interest.  One error I made in my message was that I said that LHS was situated at the east end of Wapping High Street.  It is/was at the west end, of course, not far from the Hermitage Basin.  I believe that some of the houses on the west side were demolished when the Basin was widened in the 1820s as a second entrance to the London Dock, so some of the numbering can seem a little puzzling at times.  However, No3 was on the east side of the street, the same side as my ancestors.

I will send you another message in due course, and then would be quite happy to communictae with your friend direct if I can help him with any further information.  I have a CD of Baptisms for St John's, Wapping 1813 - 1847, so there might be some names on that which may be of help.

I trust you had a good Christmas

Best wishes

Richard

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard,

We were wondering if Steve's Sarah Damant should in fact have been Dannant? The name was on a marriage cert with the name Damant on it is actually hand written by LMA staff in the 1970s. It is not a photocopy and thus Damant could be the person's interpretation of what he or she saw. It could therefore be wrong.

Does your Wapping CD have any more Pullen's or Dannant(Damant)'s on it?

Regards

Carol

Offline Downsman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol

Now that the Christmas festivities are out of the way I have had a chance to look at my CD of the St John's, Wapping, baptisms.

I have found 3 Damants born to John & Matilda Damant:

7 April 1824 - William Damant
12 April 1825 - John Damant
9 February 1842 - Samuel Damant

John Damant gives his occupation as Wheelwright.  As mentioned earlier the Sun Insutrance records show John Damant of 3 Little Hermitage Street as a Cheesemonger & Grocer.  However, I have just had alook at my Pigot's London Directory of 1839 and it shows: Damant Jno. Shopkeeper.  3, Little Hermitage Street
Damant, John - Wheelwright, 19, Old St. Road
Damant, Thomas - Wheelwright, 135, Curtain Road.

Itr would seem that whellwrighting was a family busines.  These are the only Damants in the directory.

I found the following baptisms for Pullen, all born to George Evans Pullen & Sarah Pullen.  He gives his occupation as Cooper

John James Pullen Born 12 March 1830
George Pullen Born 19 September 1832
Sarah Mary Pullen - Born 17 March 1831
Louisa Sophia Pullen Born 4 October 1840  Here the address of 3 Little Hermitage Street is actually given, rather than just trhe name of the parish of residence.

I hope you had a good Christmas and all the best for the New Year

Regards

Richard