Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: Should we correct transcription errors ??  (Read 111950 times)

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Should we correct transcription errors ??
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:19 BST (UK) »

Saying that I think I have followed completely the wrong line as the originator of the Best line - George - married an Ann Toovey not an Ann Hughes who I was expecting out of my line   :(

Willow x

Yes had followed the wrong family - oh well least whoever looks for Philip Best and his family will be able to find him easily now

Now just got to sort out my Best family  :(

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 25 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Also remember that sometimes the enumerator just spelt the name wrongly

I have Booth written as Both
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 26 October 07 01:23 BST (UK) »
Jeanette H

Oddly, until a couple of days ago, I hadn't found any mistranscriptions on Findmypast, then I found 4.  I reported them all and yesterday had e-mails advising me that they had all be altered.  I only got 1 credit per wrong transcription though. 

My question is, as I have an annual sub, what good are the credits.  I'm not unduly worried about them as I was just happy that they can look at the census and alter wrong transcriptions so quickly.

Liz

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 28 October 07 13:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello Liz,

Sorry to hear that the credits for finding incorrect transcriptions may have altered.  This I cannot check out at present, as we currently do not have a subscription to 'FindMyPast'.

It was back in July / August that we had a 'Passenger Lists' subscription.  We did not have any other subscription at that time.  Maybe they were trying to encourage us to take out further subscriptions to BDMs etc., by tempting us to check out the other areas while we were using the facilities.   
Who knows!

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Also remember that sometimes the enumerator just spelt the name wrongly

And sometimes the enumerator wrote down what he heard - I spent ages and ages looking for 2 x great grandad Carroll on the 1851 - they are on as Carle. This was probably not a mis-spelling but a phonetic rendering of Carroll with a strong Irish accent, I decided. 

Nice to imagine them with that accent !

Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 14 December 07 11:16 GMT (UK) »
That didn't seem to come out quite right
 ???
 - first time I've used quote - and my whole post came out in the blue box!  Why was that, then ?

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 14 December 07 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Mum44

You just didnt scroll down the message box far enough to get past the quote.

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 14 December 07 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Willow - I'll remember that for next time!

Mum44

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 14 December 07 13:46 GMT (UK) »
No prob Mum44 have done it myself (yesterday actually - had to modify the post lol)

Willow x