Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: Should we correct transcription errors ??  (Read 111940 times)

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Should we correct transcription errors ??
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 09 February 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Just as a follow up... After willow 4873's helpful suggestion, I have contacted the National archive, and explained my theory regarding my family Census record for the 1881C.

The National Archive have had a look at the census entry in question and have agreed with me and will now amend the record, to save any more confusion.

Success!
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 10 February 08 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Yeah result!

Well done Copperbeech! Think of all the time you have saved those poor rellies trying to find them

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline piestains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 10 March 08 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Looking for my ''Dallimore's''  which I've been doing so for over 2 years!!  I came acrosss my 'family' listed as ''Dunsmore'' in one census instead of Dallimore.  Now i would never have found them if it hadnt been for the rest of the family
ie mother remarried 3 times therefore all her other children had different surnames (searched everyone of them)
you know what its like, you cross reference and cross refernece again and again.....
The step father obviously given the info and having so many step children to care for probably couldnt remember half their names correctly!!
BUT...although it looks very much like Dunsmore instead of Dallimore do i correct it?  I'm a Dallimore and I cant tell you how many variations of my name I get.  It took me along time (more than a few days!!!) to make sure sure I was on the right track.  I wouldnt want someone else not so patient as me to miss it!

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 11 March 08 22:03 GMT (UK) »
when I dealt with the National Archive, they tell me that they add a note to the fact that this name ( the one it is listed under) may also be known as.. ( and the add the amended name)  So nothing is lost but the correct info is there to save any confusion for the future hunters.

Hope that helps,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 18 September 09 06:19 BST (UK) »
On a lighter note.................... I have family and friends who after many years still spell my name incorrectly, no matter how often I write it clearly.

Mackiwi  ??? ???
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 18 September 09 14:19 BST (UK) »
I found a transcription on Ancestry yesterday, where 2 children aged about 5 & 6 had parents who were apparently well into their 50s when the children were born.  When I looked at the actual copy of the census page, the transcriber has put two dwellings down as one, ignoring the double slash lines which seem to be used to separate out different families.  The children were actually living with governess, housekeeper, various maids, nannies etc. but no parents.  They had totally different names to the people before them on the census and there doesn't seem to be any connection.

As they aren't my ancestors, and anyone searching for the children will still find them, I've not bothered to send a correction to Ancestry.  Not sure how I'd do it anyway.

Lizzie

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Friday 18 September 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
You can only correct names in Ancestry anyway
You can add notes to records as well
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline teaurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A lovely cup of tea
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Its not just census returns where spellings are incorrect I have had great trouble finding my great grandmother.
She was born under the name of PARCELL. 
She married using the name PHAIRE   (spinster so not second marriage) and where it lists the maiden name of mother for childrens births I have PARCELL - PA*EL - THEIRE - PHAIRE and PHAIR

so it isn't always a case of transcription errors but lots of confusion anyway
Middlesex   Burnett  Clark   Potter    Cleary    Avery    Moore Howard Jode Keating
Norfolk    Rudd    Twite    Hudson    Chapman Moore Spink Adams
Suffolk    Horne    Cadge    Sutton    King    Adams
Essex    Cable    Wright                         Cumberland  Forbes
Somerset Clarke (pre 1800)                  Cambridgeshire Muncey Parcell
Devon  Flashman                                   Limerick    Hannigan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 08 December 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
On a lighter note.................... I have family and friends who after many years still spell my name incorrectly, no matter how often I write it clearly.

Mackiwi  ??? ???

So do I Mackiwi........you wouldn't believe the number of people who insist on adding an E to the end of my name  >:(

Carol ( no E!)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk