Author Topic: Another opinion needed please  (Read 6329 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Another opinion needed please
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 October 05 21:29 BST (UK) »
As you can see Jane my brain is now so addled I can't think straight. Yes I did mean 1871.
You may have also solved another problem! I do have a death certificate for a John Henson. It's the top of my 'Maybe' pile. He was 56 years old, died in Keyworth of heart disease, but because there was a postmortem the informant was the cornoner so I couldn't be totally sure. He died 1st October, the inquest was on the 2nd and the death reported on the 11th so it does fit. I can't prove it, but so far everything points to it being my John.

The lacework must have been beautiful. My mum used to do bobbin lace work - I wish she'd taught me!

I'm truly grateful for your help.
Lesley

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 January 06 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've moved a step further . . .  A very distant relative from another branch of the family contacted me about a mutual relative, and confirmed that the William and Sarah living next door to John on the 1841 census is (as I'd guessed) John's father. Still unsure about the death certificate, but at least it's one more fact under my belt!

Will let you know when I get the answer to this one - and thanks again to everyone who helped.

Offline lynmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi lesley,I live in Keyworth and the Hensons still live here a large and well known family,If you want any help let me know. Alan
Mee  Weatherbed Reed Fox Bolton Clarkstone

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 January 06 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Alan - any help appreciated!

It would be a huge help to find any links to my Hensons. As you can see from this series of messages, I do have family evidence as far back as John Henson and Elizabeth Garner married 1839 in Wysall. My aunt (whose family this is) has certificates etc this far back, handed down the family. The William and Sarah I found on the 1841 census do also seem to be my Hensons. However, I still don't know where the niece Mary Wright came from (presumably a sister of Sarah?) nor do I know who William's wife was. All the Hensons seem to have come from Keyworth.

My aunt's father, Ralph Henson, was born in Keyworth in 1878, and died weeks before she was born in 1921. Any recent connection with the family would be a great step forward in our research.

Thanks again
Lesley

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Wow. It looks like you have struck gold in finding a contact like Alan. Good luck.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

A few thoughts.

1.   There is the following marriage in the IGI - Mary HENSON married John WRIGHT, 13 Jun 1831, Keyworth.  It is tempting to think that these might be the parents of the Mary WRIGHT who, you say, was aged 9 in 1841 and living in Keyworth with William HENSON and Sarah HENSON; and who is 19, a School Assistant, and living with Schoolmistress Sarah in 1851.  I guess you could order in the relevant parish film (with the marriage) to your nearest Latter Day Saints' Family History centre - but it probably would not have any further clues/information.

(I presume that Mary WRIGHT subsequently married Thomas RICHMOND, and is the Mary RICHMOND, niece, b ca 1832, who was living in the household of Sarah HENSON, Schoolmistress, in the 1861 and 1871 censuses.  And that Mary died before 1881 when Thomas, a widower, and children Mary and Martha, are still living with Sarah.)

It is tempting to think that Mary (HENSON) WRIGHT was Mary's mother and that she died (perhaps in childbirth?) - which would explain why young Mary was living with William and Sarah in 1841.

2. There are LDS submissions (take great care!) in the IGI with the following information: William HENSON "of" Keyworth, born "about" 1771 (all that means, I assume, is that a record/s of him has/have been found in Keyworth, and that they have chosen an approx birth year of 25 years before the date of marriage), and that William HENSON married Sarah HOWARD 13 Dec 1796, Keyworth - I wonder where the submitters obtained this name and precise marriage date.

3. Do you have the death certificate of Sarah HENSON (presumably between 1881 and 1891)?  Perhaps the name of the informant might give a family clue.

Of course, Thomas RICHMOND might well have been the informant.  But perhaps by the time Sarah died, Thomas might have re-married and moved away.  I notice that in 1891 he is in Nottingham (right age, right occupation, right birthplace) with a wife Ann b Keyworth; and FreeBMD has the marriage of a Thomas RICHMOND in Bingham (which included Keyworth) in the Dec qtr 1881 with an Ann EGGLESTON on the same page.

4. Incidentally, another reason why schoolmistress Sarah (if it were she) made a mark might be if she had injured her hand and was temporarily unable to write.

Though as has been suggested it could be the other Sarah HENSON who is around in Keyworth with her widowed mother Frances (and one has to suspect that all the Keyworth HENSONs might have been related).

That Sarah was probably the daughter of Richard HENSON and Frances RICHARDS who married in Bunny in 1823.  A Richard HENSON and a Frances are recorded in the IGI as having, in Keyworth, Ann bap 1825, Sarah bap 1828, and John bap 1833.

5. I wonder whether there might have been something in the local newspaper about the death of Sarah HENSON - having been a schoolmistress for so long, she surely would have been well-known.
Also, I wonder if there are any records of Keyworth memorial inscriptions.

Well - just a few thoughts.

JAP

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jap - it's always very useful to have the facts laid out by someone else - other people can often see the gaps you miss yourself.

I have seen the LDS marriage between Wm Henson and Sarah Howard. I think this is a strong possible, but is so far pencilled in with a question mark.

I do have Sarah Henson's death cert - on 9/1/1886, she died of fracture of the thigh and shock. The informant was M Jepson, Niece- this was niece Mary who married Thos Jepson in 1883. Things get a lot easier after 1837!

I think your suggestion about the parents of the young Mary Wright is probably correct - I don't have any evidence, but I can't find a better solution, and it does make sense - so thanks - you may have solved that mystery.

The gravestone inscription is a great idea - if I could find Sarah's memorial stone it may well say who her parents were. I'd not thought of that.

If anyone knows of any online records for Keyworth inscriptions, or any CDs of Keyworth gravestones etc, I'd be so grateful. 

Thanks again, everyone for your interest and help. It is appreciated.

Offline lynmee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lesley,The wrights are also a long standing Keyworth family and still own the local bus company,I will look round the local cemetery for you.  Alan
Mee  Weatherbed Reed Fox Bolton Clarkstone

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 January 06 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Alan, thanks again - we'll be really grateful for any help or information. Lesley