Author Topic: Help needed please  (Read 1639 times)

Offline adicol

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help needed please
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
Please can someone help me.
I am desperately trying to find information regarding my g-grandparents, emily davey and thomas rothery.
I am assuming they were married in essex but as i know nothing about either of them i am hitting a brick wall.
I do know that thomas was born in 1901, family members tell me ireland but god knows where. he did live in essex, where my grandmother was born in 1939, and then moved to durham where he died in 1959.
Emily is another enigma, as i dont know when or where she was born, but i do know she died c1948, and i assume in essex.
My grandmother, thomas and emilys middle daughter was born melvena vivienne rothery on 25th november 1939 in layer de la haye, essex, and her birth was registered in lexden .
Can anyone help me find some more information.

Thanks

Colleen
DUR; Stephenson, Wray, Collier, Lowther,Rothery
GLA; Jones, Allen, Holland, Nicholas,George,Lewis
ESS; Davey
W.Yorks; Martin, Hodgson, Tyler,Harrold
LAN; Dodd, Constable, Brinkley
Guernsey; Le Riche

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 05 19:16 BST (UK) »
I could suggest the site www.1837online.com but it could cost you a fortune to pin them down with such scant information.  The majority of the free bmd sites online haven't transcribed as recent as the dates you are looking at and I have checked some locally transcribed ones which similarly have records in the 19th Century rather than 20th.

So I think you will have to put in some slog at a Records Office, since I believe to get anywhere you are going to need their marriage certificate.  Either the Records Office or an LDS Centre (check out whether you have one near you at www.familysearch.org) and go through the indexes from about the date of the earliest known child's birth looking for Thomas Rothery since that will be the least common of the two names.  For each time you find an entry under this name you should then check to see if there is an entry for Emily Davey and remember to check other spellings ie Davie etc. and at some stage you should hopefully get a match of the reference numbers for the two of them.

If I'm not being clear enough there will be some very helpful people at the Records Office who will be able to show you how to search. 

Once you have the reference number you will be able to order their marriage certificate at www.gro.gov.uk at a cost of £7 and this will give you their addresses at the time of marriage, ages and occupations, father's names and occupations - hopefully with a note made if they are deceased, and a couple of witnesses who may be relatives to help.

Hope I've helped a little.

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)