Author Topic: My ggg Grandfather was a Census Enumerator  (Read 8555 times)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
Re: My ggg Grandfather was a Census Enumerator
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 October 05 20:39 BST (UK) »
I worked as an enumerator in 1991, I did actually spend quite a lot of time helping OAPs fill their forms in as my patch included a lot of sheltered accommodation. I also had to collect the forms, take them home and complete a stats sheet manually, before delivering the whole lot to a supervisor. Not a lot different from 1851 when you think about it.

I particularly remember one nice old couple in their 70's who turned out not to be married to each other - I've thought about them frequently when finding out some of my own less reputable family secrets!

Veron
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 29 October 05 16:30 BST (UK) »

I've just realised that I now have 23 pages of my ggg Grandfather's handwriting.  How cool is that?

So cool,what an amazing find and I think it would be a great idea to have some pages analysed, however I wouldn't be surprised if by the last pages the results you got were "fed up now, want to go home".  ;D ;D ;D

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline stove82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 November 05 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello I am a Stovin too, first name Hailey. Family from Hull. Any connections or knowledge of us?

Which branch and where are you from?

Hailey Stovin

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 November 05 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hailey,

There could well be a connection!  My gg Grandparents Robert CURTIS (b 1819) and Sarah STOVIN (b 1822) were married in Sculcoates in 1846.  I believe my ggg Grandfather Edmund STOVIN (b 1788 in Goole) had family there.  His parents were William STOVIN & Esther LEAPER.  Can you make a connection with this info?

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stove82

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 November 05 21:42 GMT (UK) »
hello. will do some research and get back to you.
Hailey

Offline bitty_matriarch

• RootsChat Member
  • What good is information if not shared with others
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 18 December 05 14:40 GMT (UK) »
- At the end of the last page of the entries for the village after the last entry it says: "End of the Parish of Beckingham and of the Enumeration District.  Edmd Stovin, Enumerator"

I've just realised that I now have 23 pages of my ggg Grandfather's handwriting.  How cool is that?

Anyone else have census enumerators amongst their ancestors?   

On the 1891, both my Gt Grandfather and my Gt Gt Grandfather were the enumerator's for the village of Christchurch, part of the Upwell Registration District in Cambridgeshire.   John CAWTHORN did the main part of the village and his father, George CAWTHORN, did part of the outlying district where he lived and farmed.  I have the whole set of fiche, so won't be getting rid of those in a hurry!

Cheers,  Ann.
CAWTHORN, SCOTT & DeSilva PALMER from Cambridgeshire & West Norfolk [and beyond]
http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~cawthorn/genealogy/

Offline zandra

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 August 06 02:08 BST (UK) »
Hello I am a Stovin too, first name Hailey. Family from Hull. Any connections or knowledge of us?

Hailey Stovin

Hello Hailey,
I am descended form George Stovin who married Elizabeth Eastland in Holy Trinity, Hull on 17 Feb 1748, but we have been unable to trace further. Does this fit in with your family by any chance?
Regards,
Zandra
Philadelphia, USA

Offline acceber

• RootsChat Senior
  • G-Grandmother
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 August 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello

My g-g-g-g uncle was a census enumerator in 1851 and my mum was a census enumerator in 2001 so maybe it runs in the family!

acceber
Pattemore: Somerset - Sellick: Glous + Somerset -Sparrow: Glous + Wilts

Offline alcrighton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 August 06 14:21 BST (UK) »

Hailey Stovin

Hello Hailey,
I am descended form George Stovin who married Elizabeth Eastland in Holy Trinity, Hull on 17 Feb 1748, but we have been unable to trace further. Does this fit in with your family by any chance?
Regards,
Zandra
Philadelphia, USA
Hi Zandra,

Welcome to Rootschat!

There's a good possibility that your STOVINs are related to mine.  My gg grandmother Sarah STOVIN was married in Sculcoates (a district of Hull) in 1846 even though she was born, grew up and had her first children in Nottinghamshire.  I think it's very likely that her father, Edmund STOVIN had family there.  I found a web site with lots of STOVINs, including some of mine:

http://www.thevillage.karoo.net/group/stovin/names1.html

Maybe you can find your George here and make a connection?

I e-mailed the person who put up the site some while ago but never got a reply.

Hope this is useful.

Regards,

Al
Crighton, Dundee & London<br />Woodgates, Bath, Devon & London<br />Curtis, Nottinghamshire & Islington<br />Maker, Cornwall & London<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk