Author Topic: Hasells of Dalmaine ?  (Read 1775 times)

Offline linkyjinx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hasells of Dalmaine ?
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 20:57 BST (UK) »
History info I can't find on-line - suggestions ???
one branch of my Cambridge tree moved to Cumberland & lived in the Dalmaine Manor - what I'm trying to search for is info like : why did they move to Cumbria ?  It was about the times from Henry 8th to Cromwell times -was it safer the further north they went for gentry/religious reasons ?

Edward became Sheriff of Cumberland at one point - are there any records for things like that ?

I know very little UK history :o I've looked at British history on-line website & have seen a brief history of the house, but other social history website reccommendations or where to look for info on 16/17C appreciated.

Zara
EastEnd-London-Aldridge,Crispin,Eaton,Fletcher,Lacey,Quin,Rayment,Smith,Steib,Wood.
Portsmouth-Hampshire-Barbeary,Hodge,Mead,Merritt,Millett,Smith.
Cambridgeshire-Suffolk-Brook(e)s,Collin,Collyn,Hansell,Isaacson,Miller,Leggat,Livermore,Mason,Oak(e),Page,Sizer,Spiser,Ware,Woolward
Preston-Lancashire-Hodge(s),Steib.
Gibraltar-Cadiz-Gonzalez/s,Mead(e).
Ireland-Limerick-Mead(e),Quin(n).
USA-Europe-Mead(e), Steib & it's Variants - Stebe etc.
Other names-Briggs,Brown,Burgess,Hood,Miles,Miller.

Offline lorimer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hasells of Dalmaine ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I have some information for you regarding Hasells of Dalmaine from  Cumberland.

Originally Hasell's as you stated from Cambridgeshire, BLACKCAP'S father, Sir Edward Hasell, was brought up by his mother's sister, Elizabeth, following the death of both of his parents.

His Aunt married Right Reverend Edward Rainbow, and so appointed Bishopic of Carlilse in July 1664.

The family then came north in September to live at Bishops Palace, Rose Castle, near to Carlisle in Cumberland.

Eward Hasell (BLACKCAP) 1698-1781.  The saying BLACKCAP is said to refer to his hunting cap he wore but as also chairman of the Grand Jury.  This nickname was passed down through many generations

He became employed by Lady Anne Clifford, Countess of Pembroke and Montgomery, as her Chief secretary.

He bought Dalemain in 1679.  Became High Sheriff of Cumberland in 1682, Knighted by King William third in May 1699 and became a knight of the Shire of Cumberland in 1701.

Sir Edward married Jane Featherstonhaugh, the widow of Bernard Kirkbride, he had been a Colonel in the Civil War.

NO children, Jane died in 1695 he remarried Dorothy Williams in 1696, she was the eldest daughter of William Willams of Johnby Hall, Greystoke, Cumberland.  Both Edwards wives had been heiresses, he died in 1707.

Dorothy gave her surname to her eldest son and eldest sons for two generations.  Second son Edward born August 1698 (Blackcap).  He was appointed in Carlisle in 1746 to deal with the rebels against the crown.

Edwards brothers, Williams and John the youngest son, went to Queens College in Oxford.

Williams died of the fever in Oxford 17 August 1716 age 19 years old, John drowned when in a punt swept over a weir on the Isis in 1716 also.

Therefore Edward (Blackcap) became squire of Dalemain at the age of 18 years old, for 65 years.

He became High Sheriff 1729, Deputy Lieutenant and Chairman of Grand Jury in Carlisle.

He became interested in agricultural imrovements and the breeding of New longhorn cattle.

Edward married 20th August 1735 to Julia Musgrave 1716 - 1778, daughter of Sir Christopher Musgrave Bart of Edenhall, Cumberland.

In 1740 Edward set about massive improvments of Dalemain and work didn't finish till 1780.

I have a lot of further information regarding his children and grandchildren, who they married, what trades they went into, eg, Slave Trade, GunPowder Trade, Merchants,Plantation owners, Accused of Piracy etc.

If your require further information from me, please let me know, happy to help.

Regards
Louise Lorimer
My email address is not working sorry
Cumberland; Graham, Ogilvie, McCauley, Darling, Underwood,Atkinson, Losh, Heylin,Tinning.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linkyjinx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hasells of Dalmaine ?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 November 05 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply Louise I'll be in contact for any further info.

I've found out a few things since, such as Eva Hasell went to Canada/USA - I've seen a book on Amazon, I'll have to get, and another descentant Edward is a painter & has a Gallery in Suffolk.

The Blackcap name is interesting to know about as The "village locals" here in Somerset have been calling my mother that for years, in jest, as a reference to her nursing profession!
EastEnd-London-Aldridge,Crispin,Eaton,Fletcher,Lacey,Quin,Rayment,Smith,Steib,Wood.
Portsmouth-Hampshire-Barbeary,Hodge,Mead,Merritt,Millett,Smith.
Cambridgeshire-Suffolk-Brook(e)s,Collin,Collyn,Hansell,Isaacson,Miller,Leggat,Livermore,Mason,Oak(e),Page,Sizer,Spiser,Ware,Woolward
Preston-Lancashire-Hodge(s),Steib.
Gibraltar-Cadiz-Gonzalez/s,Mead(e).
Ireland-Limerick-Mead(e),Quin(n).
USA-Europe-Mead(e), Steib & it's Variants - Stebe etc.
Other names-Briggs,Brown,Burgess,Hood,Miles,Miller.