Author Topic: 1841, Ickleford, TAYLOR  (Read 1368 times)

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1841, Ickleford, TAYLOR
« on: Thursday 27 October 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Would someone please be kind enough to look for Thomas (1815) & Sarah (1818)Taylor in Ickleford in 1841. Thomas was a miller, his parents James & Mary may also be there, though they might be in Ippollitts where Thomas was born.

Thanks in advance
Doreen

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841, Ickleford, TAYLOR
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doreen,

I have searched for Thomas and Sarah Taylor and parents James and Mary in the 1841 for Ickleford, Ippollitts, Kimpton and Codicote, but without success.  I included the latter two places as according to the 1851 Thomas was by then living at Ickleford but his two eldest children were born in Kimpton.
In view of his occupation, I assumed Thomas was employed at Kimpton Mill, which is located on the river Mimram, midway between Kimpton and Codicote.  The miller at Kimpton in 1841 was George Garratt and the eldest of his eight children was Sarah, aged 22.  I have a hunch that she could be your Sarah and will therefore extend my search to the PRs on my next visit to HALS. 
The IGI records no less than ten christenings at Ippollitts for children of James Taylor and Mary during the period 1815-1828 and as they were  christened in batches, I will see whether the PRs give birth dates.
Unfortunately there is no surname index for the 1841 census but I will search other areas in the immediate vicinity.  If you have any further information which could help in this respect, perhaps you will let me know. 

The search goes on.

Regards   ...  Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 11:50 GMT (UK) »
This really is most kind of you Peter, and I would very much like to know what the PRs show by way of birth dates. If you can spare a little of your time in Hertford, I'll be most grateful.. just trying to find a parking space & hiking from the far-reaches of the tenniscourts can take 'til lunchtime, can't it?

I have found a marriage for Thomas to Sarah Orsbourne (of Ickleford) in Ickleford 6/1/1838.

I have found a christening of George Taylor b 30/6/1841 in Kempston, Beds on the IGI. I understand that a journeyman must move out of his apprenticeship area for a number of years after 'graduation', but I don't know how far or for how long.  I wonder what happened to James & Mary, as I can't find them in the 1851 index for Ickleford or Ippollitts, and I don't yet know what James did.

This is actually my friend's paternal line and I think it may be time to invest in some certs before anyone flogs themselves to death  ;D

regards
Doreen

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 October 05 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doreen,

I have now trawled through the whole of Hitchin area but have been unable to locate Thomas and Sarah.  Perhaps a posting on the Bedfordshire board may prove a good move.

However, I did have a bit of luck on practically the last page of my search.  I found James and Mary.  The address given is Bearton, Hitchin and is the next entry to that of 'by Ickleford Mill'.

HO107/445/4  F.12  P.17. 
James Taylor   55  Ag Lab
Mary Taylor  50 
Martha Taylor  30

I will check the information you have given when I visit HALS.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline ds0706

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 October 05 19:05 GMT (UK) »
You are a star, Peter.  I don't think James & Mary were around for the 1851, so this is our only contact point.

Thank you very much!

regards
Doreen

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 November 05 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doreen,

I have checked the appropriate PRs and can confirm all dates previously quoted.  The christening entries for the James & Mary family are as follows, but despite the multi baptisms no birth dates were shewn.

10 Nov 1815  Thomas,         Res.Charlton  Occ. Miller
         also   Elizabeth and William
26 May 1816  Jane
08 Jun 1817  Jane
28 Jun 1818  Henry   
15 Aug 1819  Henry       Res.Well Head  Occ Farmer
08 Sep 1822  Emma  and Francis
19 Apr 1828   Charles

I checked the St.Ippollytts burials for the period 1815-1830 in case any of the children died in infancy, but there were no entries.

A quick search  of the Allen Index of Hertfordshire Marriages revealed a possible scenario for James and Mary, viz  12 Oct 1810 at Little Wymondley,  James Taylor and Mary Wood.  A note was added to the entry to the effect that the male abobe was entered as Notfold,Beds.  This was probably  meant as Stotfold, but I will check on my next visit to HALS.   Little Wymondley, St. Ipps and Charlton  are in close proximity.

The christening of Emma d/o Thomas and Sarah was recorded at Ickleford on 11 Nov 1849.

I traced the marriage record of Thomas Taylor and Sarah Orsborn at Ickleford on 6th January 1838.  Thomas,  miller of Shillington (Beds) father James Taylor, miller  and Sarah of Ickleford father William Orsborn, labourer.  Witnesses William and Mary Orsborn.   I have a printout of the entry and will gladly send it to you if you wish, in which case please let me know your postal address by PM.

This is getting interesting.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline taonga1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 January 22 11:16 GMT (UK) »
This thread is from so long ago!  In case anyone is still looking for Taylors in Hertfordshire - I'm currently on the trail of an earlier Taylor - Ruel Taylor, of Welwyn, whose daughter Anne Taylor b. about 1755 in Codicote, married George Solomon in 1775 in Codicote.  The names you've found so far seem to repeat in the line I'm looking at
My mum's family:  MESSENGER (=> NZ 1852), ROSCOE/ROSCOW, ROBINSON, GROOMBRIDGE (=> NZ 1909)
My dad's family:  WHITE, CROOK. (Devon => NZ), SCHAEFFER/SCHALFER (Eisenach, Germany), MCFADYEN (Scotland) (=> NZ 1870s)
My daughter's family:  HAILEY, WAKEFIELD (=> NZ 1850s)
My husband's family:  FLETCHER (Goole, Yorkshire => NZ),GREVERS (Wassenaar, Holland), HILL (Devon => Australia), NOTT (Australia)