Author Topic: Births Templemichael Longford  (Read 4322 times)

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Births Templemichael Longford
« on: Friday 28 October 05 06:27 BST (UK) »
I know my g-g- grandfather Michael Geraghty (Gaugherty etc.) was born in TempleMichael, Longford in 1811.  At age 16 he joined the British Army.

I have downloaded a map of TM which gives lots of different areas - I don't know if they are towns or districts or what.  How can I find out where exactly in TM he was born - can anyone help me please.

Also, is it probable that the population in that area were Catholic - or Protestant?

Here's Hoping.
Mary

DEVON: Davey,Simmons,Pow,Vile,Judd
SOMERSET: Tyte, Millard
BRISTOL: Withers, Taylor, Tanswell, Crane, Newick
ALMONDSBURY, Withers, Gastrell
GLOS:  Heiron, Holbrow, Harmer, Shillam
LONDON:  Shaw, Vickers
IRELAND/BRISTOL: Gaugharty (and other versions)
YORKSHIRE:  Scothron/Scothorne

Offline foxjohnstone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Births Templemichael Longford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 January 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can honestly say that It is almost impossible to find which "parish" in Temple Michael your ancestor was born in. I found my g-g-g- grandad's place of birth ( Killoe, Longford) by obtaining his army records .His Attestation would have probably taken place in Dublin, you would have to be one of the lucky ones if you find that his records were not destroyed in the rebellion.

There is every chance that your ancestor would have served in India , so your best chance is to search at The British Library in London - India Office Collection.

I was always under the impression that my family were all Catholic , certainly Temple Michael had a very high Catholic presence back then , but don't dismiss the fact that he could well have been a Methodist ) 8% chance, or a Presbyterian 18% chance.

I do have some records eg, Tithe Assesment records which may help. Could you state the surname of interest and I will see what my records throw up ( I have vast amounts of India data too )

I am not on the computer every day , so please dont think I have ignored any messages you send

Best Wishes

Gem
Researching the family of Matthew fox JOHNSTONE born Ireland 1832 , Served  in India from 1855 with the Royal Artillery.
 Matthew's 8 children and their families married into the following families in India;- ( Of Irish blood= Wheeler, Kenyon, Baker, Raynor, Fitzgerald-Uniacke, Fox), of Scotch blood = Gilmour, Balfour, Taylor, . Of un-known/British blood;- Rose, Matthews, Rae, Hicks-Beach, Jones,Swetenham, D'Aguilar, Boutflower, Gwyther.

Offline Mary Crane

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Births Templemichael Longford
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 January 06 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gem
Many thanks for your reply.  I have obtained Michael Gaugharty's  Army Records which state he was born in the parish of Temple Michael 'in or near the town of Longford'.  He was Attested at Athlone in the county of Westmeath in 1827 aged 17 years and was discharged in Dublin in 1853. 

He didn't serve in India - his postings alternated between England, Scotland and Ireland.  When he was in Ireland 1843-1846 his wife must have accompanied him as one of their daughters was born there in 1845 (don't know which town).

The spelling of his name varies so much - Gaugherty, Gaughirty, Gaugharty, Geraghty, Gerrity - which only adds to the confusion.

I was disappointed with his Army records. I had thought they would give details of his marriage and religion, but they didn't.

Thank you for your interest

Mary
DEVON: Davey,Simmons,Pow,Vile,Judd
SOMERSET: Tyte, Millard
BRISTOL: Withers, Taylor, Tanswell, Crane, Newick
ALMONDSBURY, Withers, Gastrell
GLOS:  Heiron, Holbrow, Harmer, Shillam
LONDON:  Shaw, Vickers
IRELAND/BRISTOL: Gaugharty (and other versions)
YORKSHIRE:  Scothron/Scothorne