Author Topic: CHORLEY families, wiveliscombe somerset  (Read 17344 times)

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHORLEY families, wiveliscombe somerset
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 20 August 09 02:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane and Craig - It seems that we are not following the same line of Chorleys. 

However, a piece of trivia you may be interested in.

When visiting Taunton, Wiveliscombe and Chipstable several years ago we noticed that among the headstones in the churchyard at Taunton there was a little memorial stone which stated it had been erected by a Maria Trainer in memory of the Chorley family in recognition of the Chorley family’s kindness to her.  Another puzzle which I haven't been able to solve - perhaps Maria was connected to your side of the Chorley family?
Regards
Maddison
Hickey, Mulhare, Withers, Nixon, Bartlett, Chorley, Lomax, Latimer, Milton, Pearce, Donnelly, Crotty, Elphick, Hadley.

Offline Jane Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 20 August 09 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Maddison

Thank you for that little bit of information.  Maria Trainer was a Chorley.   She married Thomas trainer.  If I remember rigthly they converted a School into a tea shop.  I have more details somewhere If you would like to know more I will look it up for you.  Maria's Parents were Thomas Chorley and Mary Govett.

Getting back to your family. I found them on the 1881 census.  Jane b 1872 and Mary b 1863 were at home living with their parents John and Jane.  John was from Brompton Ralph and Jane was from Elworthy.  John was a farmer.  (source 1881 census on family search)

John and Jane Thorne married 1864 in Wellington.

?? John previously married Maria Stone in Mar 1851

Maria died 1863

I have had a look at the records for Brompton Ralph for John chorley born abt 1830 and he is not there.  You will need to get some more census look ups to see if he gives any other places of birth on the 1841/51/61/71 census etc.

I hope  this helps.  Please let me know how you get on

All the best

Jane

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 21 August 09 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Well, that really is interesting to know how Maria Trainer fits into the picture. Have been trying to find something on her for ages.  Is Maria on your side of the Chorley family?  If so, I think I might have a little more on her - will check my notes.

Yes, thank you, I have that infor re the census.  John's first wife, Maria, died when their daughter Mary was born and John married again and had two more children. 

I am still trying to find what happened to John and Maria's children, Eliza, Caroline, Thomas and Mary.  John and his second wife, Jane had two children John and Jane.  Have found John - still looking for Jane.

Kind regards and thanks for your help.
Maddison
Hickey, Mulhare, Withers, Nixon, Bartlett, Chorley, Lomax, Latimer, Milton, Pearce, Donnelly, Crotty, Elphick, Hadley.

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 August 09 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane
Have found the reference to Maria Trainer - it may be of interest to you.

The following record of business dealings between Maria Trainer and members of the Chorley family was found on the Somerset Records Office site for 1846

Deeds of miscellaneous Somerset parishes.  Deeds of Court House and cottages in Wiveliscombe – Somerset Record Office.  Access: Open - Ref - A\BLQ/36/5

1. Thomas Collard of Greenwich, Kent, tailor and Mary his wife, Jane Chorley of London, spinster, Thomas Trainer of Wiveliscombe, draper and tea dealer and Maria his wife, Abraham Christopher Lutley of Wiveliscombe, merchant and Betsy his wife and Harriet Mary Chorley Field of Wiveliscombe, spinster
2. Thomas Trainer and Abraham Christopher Lutley
3. Henry Trewolla of Wiveliscombe, plumber and glazier
4. John Clatworthy of Wiveliscombe, ironmonger
Re Transfer of mortgage of property as in A\BLQ 36/2.

Kind regards
Maddison

Offline Carl Chorley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Craig,
I too have the same dilema.

I am related to you in this manner  :)
 Francis Chorley was the Brother of Harriet/Herriot, Can you please advise which one married Thomas Lovebond from Nympton, Devon Marriage date is 14/6/1827?

My Dad, Arthur Montague Chorley b 1923,

his Dad Arthur montague Chorley b1893,

his Dad Arthur Montague Chorley b1870,

his Dad William paramore Chorley 15th April 1841 Exton Somereset,

his Dad Francis Chorley 12/7/1803 (Yeoman) Exton Somerset.

His Dad William/ mother Joan Collard??? or william/joan langdon??? Another Family member has the Collard connection,  have you moved further forward?

My Great Grandad and his wife Sussanah may Mort moved to Derby in the Midlands and thats how we got to Derby.

Please get in touch to discuss the above.
Best Wishes
carl chorley

Offline newkid90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 December 09 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hey Craig/jane
I am also researching the Chorley Family and have quite a bit of info on william paramore and his wife jesse

Offline morgs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 August 10 04:47 BST (UK) »
Re; Chorley? Collins Families Wiveliscombe Somerset.
Posted by ;morgs on wednesday 18th August 2010 (Aust)
Hello to Jane or Lyn.
                             Not sure if I am doing this right,anyway
William Collins was my great grandfather, he arrived in Geelong
Aust on the 18th April 1857.He married Sarah James in 1859,so I think we maybe related. If you would like to get in touch we may be able to find out more.
                                          morgs

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 August 10 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi
My connection with the Chorley family is Francis Chorley born 19th August 1843, Exton, son of Francis Chorley baptised 18th July 1803, Exton, occupation yeoman (1841 – shown on census living at Triscombe Farm) and Eliza Ward Chorley (nee Paramore) baptised 26th May 1814, Minehead, illegitimate daughter of Mary Ward who married Thomas Paramore by licence on 19th August 1817, Minehead, who were married 18th March 1839 Minehead (parish records at Exton show a previous marriage on 7th October 1836??).

Francis married Married Emma Gregory at Worcester Register Office on 18th July 1862. My link is through the Gregory family.

Francis appears to have led a complicated life and I have no idea why he ended up in Worcester. He moved back to the Exeter region and then ended up in Tewkebury via Dursley. He disappears circa 1880 and in 1881 his wife describes herself as a widow on one of his sons' burial record. I can find no record of his death, but I believe his father died in Birmingham in 1881.

If anyone has any knowledge of this branch of the family I would be grateful.

Tofgem

Offline Jane Richards

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 August 10 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Tofgem

Sorry if i seem a bit confused but which Francis chorley's death are we looking for?  There is a death for Francis in June quarter 1881 in Birmingham aged 77 which would be about right for the Francis baptised in 1803.

Jane