Author Topic: Does anyone know where to find Kirk Session Minutes  (Read 3697 times)

Offline a.steel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Does anyone know where to find Kirk Session Minutes
« on: Friday 28 October 05 18:17 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where to find the Kirk Session Minutes for Annan or for Middlebie? 

They are not in the Scottish Record Office and may be held locally.

Any ideas gratefully accepted

Thanks

Margaret
DUMFRIESSHIRE : Beattie, Campbell, Elliot, Johnstons, Johnstone
ROXBURGH or DUMFRIESSHIRE : Balmer, Jackson, Lockie, Walker

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone know where to find Kirk Session Minutes
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 05 10:58 GMT (UK) »
They are available next door to the GROS at the National Archive (NAS) Princes St, Edinburgh.

I'm a bit new to the Kirk Sessions but I have viewed some of the early Annan ones (1700s).  Quite hilarious.

It was obviously a new and fairly toothless body of people, they keep calling for so and so to appear and month after month they are ignored.  Hilarious reading.

There are a couple of illegitimacies recorded and selling beer on a Sunday - not much else.  I'm not sure of the exact history but the Annan Kirk Sessions seem to be a sub-body of the Dumfries KS so most of the records just refer to that.

In the NAS the Annan KS are available to view online in the building.  It is free but you need a reader's ticket.  On the same system you can see all the wills for free as well.

I don't know what the plans are to make KS available on the internet?

Cheers,
Pam
 ;D 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline a.steel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 05 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pam
Thanks - I will try to get to NAS again. I meant to write tht I'd looked in the NAS rather than the GROS.   I couldn't find anything in the index when I was in Edinburgh earlier in the year.  I can't understand why they are not indexed on the NAS website!  Various other KS records are.  Certainly Annan Presbytery records are there and sometimes cases from individual KSs were referred to the Presbytery.  I need the to check individual KS as they are useful for tracing parents of illegitimate children.  The mothers were hauled up to be "admonished" and asked to say who the father was etc... 
I will keep looking I'm really interested in the mid 19C when my gg grandfather was the first of two illegitimate sons of an Anne Johnston/e.  If you can point me to the correct reference numbers from the NAS index I'd be grateful.  I know they usually begin with CH/ 

With thanks  :)
Maggie

Maggie
DUMFRIESSHIRE : Beattie, Campbell, Elliot, Johnstons, Johnstone
ROXBURGH or DUMFRIESSHIRE : Balmer, Jackson, Lockie, Walker

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 August 09 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a Christine Johnston married to a Hamilton Brown in my family tree on my Grandads side of the family.  South Leith Nr. Edinburgh.  Did your relative have any sisters do you know. This would have been around late 1880/90s.  she died and he re-married an Isabella Bee.  His son by Christine was called Edward Brown.
let me know if you think there is a connection even a tentative one

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet