Author Topic: Searching for Grandfathers War Records  (Read 7665 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Grandfathers War Records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 19:35 BST (UK) »
Now have the medal card details.

Not too clear :-\ & still not 100% it IS my Grandfather Christopher James Colbert

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 September 04 22:43 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to decifer the small writing in the bottom right corner?

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 September 04 17:25 BST (UK) »
A kind gentleman on the WW I forum supplied me with the translations:

Card Translation:
The card shows that he entered 2b Balkans on 6th September 1915, 2b is generally Gallipoli. The card also shows that he was entitled to The 1914/15 Star the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. The tiny cross type mark next to Ist Garrison Essex Regiment means that his medals would have been inscribed to him as Private 21173 with the Essex Regiment rather than as Pte 55052 of the Rifle Brigade. He was discharged to Class Z (AR) on 25th March 1919. I can't make out the writing on the bottom right hand corner as it is too small.

The letters/numbers K/2/143 Page 39 etc are 1914/15 Star medal roll references and the other set of numbers etc are the references for the War & Victory Medal rolls.

1st Garrison Battalion left Devonport on 24th August 1915 (27 Officers & 984 Other Ranks). They arrived at Mudros, Lemnos on the 3rd September and spent time at Anzac & Cape Helles in Gallipoli. Later, during the evacuation from Gallipoli they carried out Police Duties at Anzac.

Aug 26th, 2004
Source: http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showuser=1302