Author Topic: Stauntons on Yonge Street, Toronto  (Read 919 times)

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stauntons on Yonge Street, Toronto
« on: Friday 28 October 05 22:57 BST (UK) »
After the first world war my great grandfather was sent to Canada to work at Stauntons wallpaper manufacturer on Yonge Street to help establish teh factory, I hear that the plant flurished and moved to Leaside.
I know Stauntons is no longer around and I was wondering if it had a name change or if the factory just closed down, and if so would any of the work records have been kept on file or sent somewhere for safe keeping,  my great grandfather was the Foreman at Stauntons and retired after 60 years, recieving a mahogany writing table upon his retirement.
I was wondering if there is anywhere I could find more information about this factory and its workers.
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Stauntons on Yonge Street, Toronto
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 October 05 23:07 BST (UK) »
A search of GOOGLE found the following

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/bylaws/2002/law0261.pdf

According to this legal document online, Stauntons merged with several other companies in 1927 and became Canadian Wallpaper Manufacturers Limited. There is more info there including dates, names  and new locations right up to 1978
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 October 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
Great document Eillo, interesting.

Vivathia,

I read a bit of it and seen that the company's were bought by Sunworthy which I think is one of the last Canadian wall paper companys.  Anyways, my dad's neighbor has worked there for about 20 odd years (and is from England), I'll get my dad to ask him about old company files. 

I'll go call my dad now.
Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline vivathia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 October 05 23:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much eillo for that document, hopefully it will help heaps in what I am after,  the dates tie in for around when my Great grandfather came over from England.

And thank you also karenM for your helpfulness in this matter.

I've had too long away from my family tree and I feel like I'm having to start all over again,  your help is much appriciated
Fraser, Matheson, McGruer, Kershaw, Greenhaulgh