Author Topic: Brindley Henry  (Read 2635 times)

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Brindley Henry
« on: Thursday 26 August 04 05:22 BST (UK) »
hello all this is my first time here after registering.  I am looking for information on Henry Brindley b 1819 in Parish of Sutton/Town of Macclesfield/County of Chester, England. Trade Tailor.
Henry joined the army in Lancashire June 1839 he served 20 years in the Army and was discharged 1859. In 1962 he came to Australia  per ss York as a Pensioner Guard. He is believed to have brought with him his daughter Sussana. lHere he married and had a son, Joseph who was my grandfather. I have no information on his personal life before coming to Australia and have no idea where to begin my search. Can anyone help? I would be grateful. kindest regards Phyllys.
Brindley in Macclesfield or Lancashire
Hall in Macclesfield or Lancashire

Ronan in Tipperary, Ireland
Reilly in Cork, Ireland

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Brindley Henry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 04 06:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Phyllys,

nice to meet you  :D

I do hope it was 1862 that Henry came to Australia! ;D

Looks like your best bet would be a lookup of the 1861 census.

If you post a request on the Lookup Request Board for Cheshire someone might be able to help you.

Or just wait here and the lovely Kazza  :-* will have much better advice than I have.

( See how I can keep you busy Kazza!  ;) )

Cheers
Aaron ;D
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 04 01:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Phyllis,

Welcome to RootsChat.   ;D

At present we do not have anyone with access to Cheshire 1861 offering lookups,  but we do have 2 members with partial 1851 census extracts.  Though he may have been in another county by then.

You could try to find some of his army records,  but you would need some information to begin this search.  Have you tried to get a marriage certificate?  Or Susanna's birth certificate,  both may give you further information.

Aaron,

you did a good job without my help.   ;D

Kazza.
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 04 05:40 BST (UK) »
dear Aaron thanks for replying to my mail. I have some of Henry's army ino. he was no 1159. 2nd regiment of foot. This was provided by a cousin. Henry served 5years and 11 mnths in the East Indies and 8 years 6months in the Cape of Good Hope Africa. I did find a birth for a Susanna Brindley in 1855 from the Chesire BDMs and am about to send for her birth certificate hoping she will be our Sussanna.
This family history is very exciting. I now have 6 manual files on different lines in my family.
In my mother's line we had a convict, very fashionable these days. I have even managed to track some of the convict's wife's family and met a few.
have a good week and thanks again for your reply, regards Phyllys

Reilly in Cork, Ireland

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 04 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hello again Phyllys,

you are right about the convicts - everybody here brags about them.  ::) I have a friend who has 5 First Fleeters - all convicts - in their line and thrilled to bits about it  ;D.

No convicts for me - my younger brother is 1st generation Aussie -  I missed out by a year. All our convicts are back in Ireland  ;D

I have thought that the Gloucestershire folk that I can't find might have been transported here before me - but the entire family? :o

Cheers Phyllys  and good huntin'  ;D

Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline phyllys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 August 04 11:04 BST (UK) »
dear Aaron, thanks for the reply. You sure have a family full of convicts. I have no first fleeters. 1835 was the year of my convict. I'll try to find someone with the 1861 census. Must be someone on the net with it. Maybe a visit to the library is the way to go. take care regards Phyllys

Reilly in Cork, Ireland