Author Topic: need help  (Read 865 times)

Offline J1507

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
need help
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 13:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for help in Canada
John Rae b. Hawick Scotland married Frances Bogue maiden name Dalgliesh, 1st marriage was Bogue John Rae & Frances M in Canada July 26th 1869, really I kneed to know who John Rae's parents were it looked like he went to Canada and came back with Frances although her maiden name is Dalgliesh a Scottish name. Thank you for your time .Best regards Jim

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Jim,

Do you know where in Canada they were married?  Depending on the place, it can be hard to find marriage records that far back.

Have you seen the Scotlands People website:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: need help
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 October 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
Can you give us more to go on? John's dob? his wife's dob? (even a guess would be helpful)

John's occupation and religion?

I checked 1871 online index to census records for Ontario and there are 3 John Rae born Scotland there, all different ages.

You can check for yourself if you think ONtario was where they md and settled. http://allcensusrecords.com/canada/ gets you there.

If they md in Ontario you might be in luck because civil reg started in 1869. Try Ontario Vital Stats Registration project (sorry I haven't got the URL handy, just google for it)

Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore