Author Topic: DREW - WARD from Lower Mitton (Kidderminster)  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Attwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
DREW - WARD from Lower Mitton (Kidderminster)
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for information re. Rosina Drew who married Arthur Ward in Lower Mitton near Kidderminster in 1898.

Rosina was born abt. 1879 and Arthur abt. 1877. 

Rosina was the daughter of George Drew and Arthur the son of Henry Ward.

I believe they later moved towards Cradley and had a farm in Netherend.

Any information gratefully received.

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Re: DREW - WARD from Lower Mitton (Kidderminster)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 October 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Attwood

Do you already have information from the 1901 census or do you want members to look them up for you?

Cheers
Jan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Martin Hughes and Rosina Drew is my Great Grandfather.s (Frederic Drew), sister posibly half sister Im not shure wich at this time.
Rose was born in South Wales and lived in Netherend Cradley.
I have found some information on the Drews but they all seemed to move about a fair bit, so are dificult to track.
If you let me tell me what you know I wll try to fill in any gaps,
Ps I am decended from  the Drews on my mothers side.

Regards

Martin Hughes

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Atwood

For Lower Miton you need the records of Stourport on Severn (just thought I would say in case you didnt know)

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Rose Drew was born  inglestone common or South Wales, (information varies), part of Hawkesbury  http://www.hawkesburyhistory.com/
Drew is an alias she was christened Rosina Crew and her fathers real name was Cornelius Crew. She is in the 1911 Census in Ross on Why, but latter moved to Netherend, Cradley.
Martin

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 March 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Should have said Rose is on the left the man in the middle is her half Brother George Drew and his wife is on the right.
George and his wife lived in Doncaster.

Offline Drewpy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 August 19 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I stumbled on this web site and now it has answered my questions and I have been searching on and off for years. My husband is the grandson of George Thomas Drew who is the son of George Drew aka Cornelius Crew. I have the marriage certificates of George and Annie Drew, the birth certs of George Thomas and Fred and also knew they were in the workhouse in 1901.I also had knowledge of Rosina and Danny. I think I have researched every George Drew who was born in the 19C. but kept drawing blanks- no wonder! I cannot find a death for Annie (Preece) Drew but this has renewed my interest in the family tree- so we are not Drews but Crews! I wondered why he changed his name too and would love to find out more. We also have the photo of George, his wife Ivy and Rosina. I have another photo which I will try to upload- it has "Mrs Drew", 2 boys about 8 to 10 years and an infant on her knee.
I would love to find out more and read with interest all the info. on the message boards.

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 August 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi It is fantastic to hear from you. Yes Cornelius Crew (George Drew) is a fairly elusive character. It took me 20 odd years to track him down started in the late 80s. My Grandfarther had told me that his grandfarther was George Drew but he thought that he had changed his name from Crew to Drew, but didn't know his original first name, I eventually came access one of Daniels descendants, and the link was made. Daniel had changed his name back to Crewe. I do not know why Cornelius changed his name, my GF always said it was because he had trouble with the Gypsies, but I think this is just a family story.
A quick potted history.
Cornelius was born in Inglstone Common Hawksburry, Gloucestershire in 1852.
He was from all appearances a bit of a character!
He was married 3 times that I know of.
His first wife Alice Kingswood M 1876. with whom he had 2 children Rosina and Daniel. Alice Died 1884.
2nd Wife Mary Ann Brown 1886, Don't know what happended to Mary.
2 years latter he marries his 3rd wife Annie Preece (I wonder if this is a bigamous marrage as it is at this point that he changed his name, but I have no evidence.)
Annie is the mother of George and Fred. George Born Llantrisant and Fred was in a tent in the Forest of Dean.
I cant find any info on Annie not sure where she was born, and cant find of any record of her death.
Cornelius appears to have spent most of his life traveling between Hawksbury where his parents were born and South Wales where his Brother Mark lived (Marks decedents still live in SW).

I will send you more info in a private message latter, need to get bits together.

All the Best wishes.

Offline appleapear

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 August 19 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi. My name is Eileen Crew and my great grandfather was Daniel Crew. George Thomas lived with my g- grandfather and is in the 1911 census. my g-grandfather had changed his name back to Crew and so had George Thomas he worked at Shirebrook colliery. My grandfather George went to see George Thomas in Doncaster. I have a bible that that belonged to a Mrs E. Bannister 1893 but my grandmother told me it was given to her mother from a good friend. please get in touch as I have tried to find the Doncaster family.