Author Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?  (Read 140238 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #162 on: Sunday 20 November 05 01:24 GMT (UK) »
I also found a site with buttons from the Canadian air training bases...so had he been wearing a jacket from a training base, the buttons would be different yet
again...

I still can't make out shapes even with the new scan...but some of you seem to have eyes like hawks...  click on the buttons to enlarge...

British Air Commonwealth Air Training Plan...
http://www.geocities.com/leaside1.geo/
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #163 on: Sunday 20 November 05 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the scan Caroline  :) 
I hate to bug, but is there a way of getting a higher DPI/resolution scan?  This is still very tiny as evidenced by the small file size of about 12K.  There should be somewhere in your scanner settings to set the resolution to perhaps 300 or even 600DPI. 
Sorry if I sound like I'm teaching grandma how to suck eggs!  ;D  Just that I still can't get a handle on what's on his buttons...
Cheers
Prue

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #164 on: Sunday 20 November 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
The original scan at 1200dpi was too large for it to be downloaded so it had to be resized.  I've since split up the photographs so they can both load at 1200.  The crown and bird can easily be identified along with the insignia.  Looks like RAF for sure, well spotted Bill.

Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Sunday 20 November 05 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Well there is no doubt that this is an eagle under a crown..well spotted, Mr. Green...
 I am glad the story was written up in the newspapers...did it get into the
Quebec papers owned by the sun, tho...I hope so!  Glad to see that Rootschat
got a bit of a plug!   
 Damien, that is such a wonderful gesture to want to place a wreath on behalf
of the families of the crew...Hopefully we find some (or ALL) of them so that you
can get an answer.  J.J.

Sixty one years ago today...

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Sunday 20 November 05 19:21 GMT (UK) »
  The nearest I could find so far is the raf mess kit button as it is slightly offset to the right...If this is an R.A.F. fellow we are searching for...let's not lose hope but simply call it a much larger mystery.
 I am enjoying the fact that we are finding the families...and that we are honouring these boys. This still could be a cousin, etc. One never knows. Mom was R.C.A.F. but had a cousin in the forces in England and also New Zealand.

And so we are off to solve a larger mystery...

Caroline...should we start another thread in this board with the buttons and arm wings enlarged, so that the military buffs can try to sort it out on it's own...but linking back to this thread?  Will perhaps get more on the case, if nothing else...
Just a thought...J.J.

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #168 on: Sunday 20 November 05 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Bob Schwarts has kindly given me permission to post some photographs from his website, he also has some information regarding the shoulder insigina.

They were worn by all ranks underneath Warrant Officers, i.e from Aircraftman Second Class (AC2), through AC1, LAC, Corporal, Sergeant, and finally Flight-Sergeant. 

The eagles are meant to be worn in pairs, with the both of the eagles facing backward. The unofficial translation of the RAF motto, "We have eyes everywhere", refers to the fact the wearer's own eyes are facing forward in combination with the eyes of the eagles that are facing rearwards

There is also a picture of the Canadian badge. 

The eagle-eyed amongst you (no pun intended!) will hopefully know much more.
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Sunday 20 November 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
This seems to get more confusing rather than closer to an answer.
       I still believe that the photo was took during recruit training, hence the lack of badges. If he had have been junior groundcrew His ac1/ac2 badge would still have been upper arm.
       I think you are sorrect regarding not having the Canada flash above the eagle - if it is an eagle. The R.A.F. insignia is not as many people think -it is actually an albatross, now I do know that the R.A.A.F. changed the Albatross to a wedgetailed eagle (Ozzy bird), but I cant say about the R.C.A.F.
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Sunday 20 November 05 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Caroline, thanks for the big scan  :)

I think the birdie on his shoulder is facing backwards.  Does that mean RAF?  The button looks to be bird with a crown above.

Prue