Author Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?  (Read 140464 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Since the young man looks to have been in the RAF and therefore not a crew member is it possible the photo was deliberately placed at the scene - some kind of tribute to one of the crew members? An admirer or partner at this time would have dared do no more than leave an anonymous photo perhaps ???
Just a thought to confuse things further ??? :D
Fantastic thread
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Bill Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,
Thanks for your posting, I'm glad that I'm not the only one to make such assertions!
I agree with everything Harry says, the OTU's did have to cope with some very tired old aeroplanes and I'm sure that contributed in no small part to the loss of so many trainee aircrew.
Looking at the loss reports for this particular night, 22 OTU lost three aircraft , as Harry says. What struck me as I read the reports was the fact that all three reported problems with the starboard engine. That is some spooky coincidence.
Now I'm going to really stick my neck out!
Studying the photo of our young man for the umpteenth time and comparing facial features with the crew photo, I believe there is quite a resemblance to the man second from right, i.e. the one I nominate as the rear gunner. If it is not a younger version of him, then it could well be a younger brother, in which case he may not have been aircrew, hence no flying badges and if the photo was taken in Canada, he would not necessarily have worn CANADA flashes.
Sorry my email address is not working.
Hon. Chair, Bomber Command Association, Fenland Branch.

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Some further information received from McGills University.

We are also closer to identifying a member of the Allison family here in Montreal. It turns out that William attended McGill University for only one year (1936/37) without graduating. However two of his younger sisters attended the university graduating in 1942 (Beatrice) and 1944 (Joan). Both have passed away  but we have now been able to find names of some later generations of William’s siblings (apparently he had six sisters and no brothers). We suspect there might be one sister, Phyllis, still alive.

We are using some volunteers at the university to help us locate a living relative, and will let you know when we have success.

While I’m not an expert on these things, it should be remembered that in the early years of the war, the RCAF didn’t have a large presence in Britain, and many crewmembers served with the RAF until sufficient numbers of aircraft could arrive ffrom the RCAF. There were also shortages of material and uniforms here in Canada, so it could be we were using RAF surplus uniforms for the cadets. A third point is that Canada ran the Commonwealth Air Training plan where we trained pilots in Canada (less risk of being shot down and more petrol available) prior to being sent to Europe. I have seen pictures of Polish, Australian and French crew being trained in Western Canada, some in RAF uniforms.

Another possibility about the origin of the photo found at the crash site is that it might not be of any of the crew, but could have been a photo of a younger brother that one of the crew carried with them. If they were only on a night training mission, they wouldn’t be carrying all of their wordly goods on the plane, so it could be that the photo was of someone else (like a brother) that one of the airmen had inside a wallet.

Denn has said all along that maybe the photograph was taken at recruit stage...Denn would this also be a reason why "Canada" doesn't appear on his shoulder?

Hopefully when Martha makes her visit to see the records we may have some good news.

Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Bill Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Only one flaw I can see in McGill's message; If our young man was part of the Commonwealth Training Plan, he would have a white flash at the front of his cap denoting "aircrew under training".

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday 23 November 05 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Bill, I understand that there may have been a different photograph taken when promotions were given etc.

Can you please take a look at the photo posted of William Allison and maybe see anything from the badges on his uniform and hat which may give an idea of what stage they were taken.  His record card is also posted.  There are lots of postings, let me know if you want it emailed.

Thanks
Caroline
Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Bill Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Thursday 24 November 05 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,
Nothing in the photograph gives any indication about when the picture was taken, however, I suspect it was when he was newly commissioned. My reason for that statement is that his hat looks quite new and pristine.
Bomber types were quite proud of their SD caps and would endeavour to hang on to them even when issued with new uniforms. A bomber man's "operational" cap was a treasured possession and was quite often regarded as a talisman.

Offline gtx958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Friday 25 November 05 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I can confirm that the chap in your picture is wearing an RAF uniform of an airman. Not a commisioned officer, thats confirmed by the "eagle" flash on his shoulder. Mind you that does not mean that he did not become an officer in time. Many aircrew started out as non commisioned officers (ie; Sergeant and above) and judging by the youthfull appearance and lack of any rank I guess this was taken in the first few weeks of joing the RAF when his rank would have been Aircraftsman I or II.
I cannot see the "sparks" mentioned by a previous correspondents though if he had them they should be visible on his left arm I think, not both arms. In those days, the sparks were worn above any badge of rank. Nowadays and in my time they are worn below the badge of rank.
Regards
Mike Greatorex

Offline gtx958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Friday 25 November 05 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I posted a really long reply to this posting of yours but gremlins seem to have lost it. I can confirm that it is a RAF uniform your chap is wearing. That is shown by the "eagle" on his shoulder. Judging by the youthfullness of him I guess this is a picture taken within days or weeks of joing the RAF. No badges of rank showing and I cannot see any "sparks" as mentioned by another reader. With no rank showing then he was an aircraftsman I or II, still in training.
Regards
Mike Greatorex

Offline Bill Green

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Friday 25 November 05 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,
  If our young man is RAF, as seems likely, might it not be worth involving the UK media in the search? It just might be that someone will recognise him on this side of "the pond".