Author Topic: Help translating a bit of Welsh in an address  (Read 1790 times)

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help translating a bit of Welsh in an address
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 02:03 GMT (UK) »
On my GGGrandmothers death certificate, dated Jan 1903, my Great-Grandfather is listed as the informant. His address is given as "Tfynon Cyll, Whitland, Carmarthen". It doesn't give his occupation but I know a few years later he was working as a farm labourer.

I've scanned through the 1901 census pages for Whitland and the surrounding parish, and can not find this place. I suspect it was a farm.  I also suspect what is written on the certificate is either an abreviation or was something that got garbled in translation. Perhaps a short form for a much longer place name.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what 'Tfynon Cyll' could be?

Thank You
Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Help translating a bit of Welsh in an address
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 02:34 GMT (UK) »
Just a thought - could it be "Ffynnon" misspelled?  That way, you would have a "spring or well".  Looked at my Welsh dictionary and "cyll" means something like "hazel trees".

I'm sure a welsh-speaker can help you further!  ;D

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 02:37 GMT (UK) »
And from Genuki we have this:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/Cyffig/

Places, villages, farms etc within Cyffig  as shown on the parish map on the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Merv Thomas)

* Cyffic [54]; Blaen-waun, Brandy Hill, Briwnant, Coldwell, Cringae, Cyffic, Ffynnon-cyll, Golden Grove, Great Pale, Little Pale, Llwyn-y-brain, Middleway, Old Pale, Pen-y-back, Red Roses, Sych, Tavernspite, Tre-Vaughan

Cheers!
Prue

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 October 05 03:13 GMT (UK) »
Good call Prue!

I've looked at the death cert some more and can see a little dot that would make Tfynon and Ffynon. I checked the genuki link you sent, found some maps of Cyffig, and there it was, Ffynnoncyll, just a few miles south of the village of Whitland.

In the 1901 census, I pulled up the enumeration district description page that covers Cffyig and in the list of places covered, there is a "FfynonCyll Farm" listed. I'm 100% sure that's what I was looking for. I was initially looking for something in Whitland, but I guess what I really wanted was something in the rural district of Whitland.

Thanks again Prue, you've been a big help!
Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 October 05 03:25 GMT (UK) »
No worries Jeff, I knew that dictionary would come in handy one day!   ;D