Author Topic: William Alfred Medcraft. Islip Oxfordshire  (Read 1583 times)

Offline smiths565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William Alfred Medcraft. Islip Oxfordshire
« on: Sunday 30 October 05 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Can anybody tell me more about William Alfred Medcraft and his family. He was born in 1897 and killed in action in 1917. At some point in his life, he moved to Sheffield/Rotherham and worked for Vickers Limited. CWGC states he was an apprenticed engineer. His parents were William & Annie Medcraft.

can anybody tell me his mothers maiden name and when/where they married. I assume they are both from Oxfordshire and they didn't move to Sheffield.

Did he have brothers & sisters?

I see that Jesse Medcraft is remembered on the Islip war memorial - was he a relative?

I look forward to hearing from you

kind regards

Robert.

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Alfred Medcraft. Islip Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 October 05 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Here they are mistranscribed as Mederaft

Annie Mederaft abt 1873  Islip, Oxfordshire, England Wife  Islip  Oxfordshire   
Joseph Mederaft abt 1830  Chesterton, Oxfordshire, England Father  Islip  Oxfordshire   
William A Mederaft abt 1898  Oxford, Oxfordshire, England Son  Islip  Oxfordshire   
William J Mederaft abt 1873  Kidlington, Oxfordshire, England Head  Islip  Oxfordshire 

and here's Jessie

Elizabeth Goom abt 1833  Weston, Oxfordshire, England Head  Islip  Oxfordshire   
Jessie Medcraft abt 1863  Islip, Oxfordshire, England Son  Islip  Oxfordshire 

Sue
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline smiths565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 October 05 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue.

I'm not sure the Jesse Medcraft born in 1863 is the man I'm interested in - it would make him approx 53 in 1916 which is when Jesse Medcraft died.

Whilst not impossible, I think he would be too old.

Thanks for the info.

regards Robert.

Can anyone help on his mothers maiden name?

Offline Huron

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 November 05 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Checking on the England BMD registers index, a William Joseph Medcraft was married in the June quarter of 1896 in the district of Woodstock (volume 3A), and the only potential wife I see there is Annie Stopp. So that looks pretty certain to be the right person, but you'd need to order the marriage certificate and check the details on there to be sure.

If she is the right one, you can find her on the Familysearch.org 1881 census, the daughter of John jr Stopp, a shepherd, and Ann Stopp. Can't help with the Jessie you're looking for, though it may be a version of Joseph, but there's a lot of Medcrafts in Islip from different families, so they may well be related somehow. If he was a brother, he would have had to be born after the 1901 census, which would have made him very young to have already gone through training and been killed by the time he was about 15. Not impossible, of course, but less likely.

Hope this helps.

Offline smiths565

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 November 05 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Huron,

I think you're right - Annie Medcraft is 28 years old in the 1901 census. That means she was born 1873'ish. FreeBMD only lists 4 Annie Stopp's - with only one possible

Annie Stopp, MAR 1873 born Bicester

I think this confirms your research is correct.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me

kind regards

Robert  :)