Author Topic: Phoebe GRACE b. abt 1794  (Read 3330 times)

Offline mikell45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Phoebe GRACE b. abt 1794
« on: Monday 31 October 05 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for Phoebe GRACE's birth and parents. On the 1851 census she gives her place of birth as Farley (Fawley?) but I have checked the Parish Records and those for surrounding Parishes and can find no trace of her or a possible family.
Phoebe GRACE married William HATCHER in 1814 in Milford, Hampshire. William and Phoebe had children in Lymington, Milford and Pennington.
Hope to hear from anyone researching either family, especially any sighting of a birth for Phoebe.
Thanks and best regards
Michael Metcalfe
Sheather, Metcalf, Metcalfe, Peters, Cuthbert - all Sussex. Biffin & Goodfellow - Wiltshire

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe GRACE b. abt 1794
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 October 05 08:36 GMT (UK) »
This seems to be the only possibility on the IGI
PHEBE GRACE  Birth:  28 MAY 1788   
Christening:  18 JUN 1788   Oat Street Lady Huntingdons, Basingstoke, Hampshire, England
Father:  GEDION GRACE Mother:  ELIZABETH

It is about 30 miles from your parish. There is a parish in Hampshire called
Farley Chamberlayne, 23 miles from Basingstoke.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mikell45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 October 05 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish greatly appreciated,

I'll check Basingstoke and Farley Chamberlayne.
Best regards
Michael
Sheather, Metcalf, Metcalfe, Peters, Cuthbert - all Sussex. Biffin & Goodfellow - Wiltshire

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael, I think Phebe Grace married my ancestor in Pennington about 1814.

My ancestor was William Hatcher.

Are you connected to the Grace or Hatcher side?

Please let me know.

Regards,
Stephen
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline Kimbrey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Here are a marriage and christenings taken from the HGS Indexes

These do not cover the Non Comformists and Lady Huntingdon's was a Non comformist group

Marriage-30 July 1776 at Basingstoke
Gideon GRACE
Elizabeth ANGEL

Baptisms
02 Oct 1777-John s Gideon & Elizabeth
28 Feb 1779-Sarah  d Gideon & Elizabeth
17 May 1781-Elizabeth d Gideon & Elizabeth

Buriels
03 Apr 1820-Gideon GRACE   71  at Eastrop
15 Feb 1827-Elizabeth GRACE  77  at Eastrop

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 August 11 11:47 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the Hampshire CALM database for Gideon GRACE

http://calm.hants.gov.uk/DServe/Search%20all.htm

There is a will and other documents.  :D
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 November 15 23:50 GMT (UK) »
G’day posters, just wanted to make contact with Michael about Phoebe GRACE and see if you've made any more progress in tracking down her birth and parents yet?

I’ve been doing a little more digging on my own ancestors and I managed to find a Phebe Grace born 1790 in Over Wallop to a Joseph and Sarah Grace. Its only about 28 miles north of Fawley.
I also found a Phoebe Grace who gave birth at Over Wallop in 1810 to a child named Thomas Grace. If the two Phoebe's are one in the same person, she would have been 20 years of age at the time of that birth, but who was the father of this child and was she married or not?

Over Wallop is 28 miles west of Basingstoke to the other Grace family listed from there and I’m not sure if they are connected or not.

If Phebe Grace wasn’t married in 1810, might someone in her situation perhaps have left her child Thomas with her parents to be raised and she then moved elsewhere like Fawley to begin a "new life" I wonder?

A man named William Hatcher is shown to have married a woman named Phebe Grace 12th February 1814 and the event is recorded as taking place at Pennington Hampshire according to a Family Search record. But I'm told by an expert from the local historical society there was no church at Pennington until 1838.

Google maps tell me Pennington is only 14 miles south west from Fawley where Phebe Grace stated she was born, as recorded on the 1861 UK census.

Can I ask, how are you related to Phoebe Grace?
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler