Author Topic: Death Lookup Barrow in Furness  (Read 883 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death Lookup Barrow in Furness
« on: Monday 31 October 05 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Would anybody be able to help me with a death cert lookup in Barrow in Furness please?

William Morrison died September Quarter in 1881, Barrow. He was born c. 1804 in Bowling, Old Kilpatrick, Scotland.

I think he may be my 4G Uncle -  possibly the first clue apart from my 3G Grandfather to my long lost Morrison 4GGrandparents and my major brickwall.

On the 1881 census, he is shown as living with his daughter, Margaret Morrison Munro and her husband, William Munro, a boilermaker and their children at 22 Dumfries Street.

I think his parents were Andrew Morrison and Margaret Baird.

Failing a lookup, I am more than happy to order his death certificate if anyone can tell me where to get it from in England.

Any help welcome, thanks,

Lindsay Morrison
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Death Lookup Barrow in Furness
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 10:17 GMT (UK) »
According to FreeBMD, the death was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1881 at Barrow in Furness.

The GRO reference, which is what you need, is what FreeBMD gives you - Barrow in Furness, July-September quarter, Volume 8e, Page 442.

If you go to http://www.gro.gov.uk, over on the right hand side you'll see an entry about Ordering Certificates Online. Since you have the full GRO reference already, you get the certificate for GBP7.00. They charge more if they have to search.

If you want to order by post, phone or fax, they charge GBP8.50.

They don't mention extra charges for posting overseas, but check the "Certificate Fees" page in case I missed it.

The death certificate may not give you everything you would like - the death may have been registered by someone who was only an acquaintance, and couldn't provide personal details. Since the age for your chap seems OK, it's likely that whoever went to the register office was a relative. It will give you the place of death (he may not have been at home), his occupation if known, and the name and residence of the informant.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot - I never even knew this site existed, being Scottish I am totally spoilt by ScotlandsPeople   :), so happy to know it is possible to order online even if you can't see what you are getting!

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 November 05 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Andrew, can I impose upon you again please?

The certificate duly arrived, very fast, have to say great service but I am disappointed to find that it doesn't have the names of William's parents on it.

What I wanted to ask is, is this normal for English certificates? i.e. that in 1881 it was not a requirement to name the deceased's parents on a death certificate???

thanks,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline trishc

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 05 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay
Yes, it's the norm not to have the parents details on it, you would only get that info on a birth cert.
regards
trish
Dunn/Brown/Laird/Monaghan/Willetts/Lamb/Stalker/Morland/Bradley/Corbett/Franks/Mayes/Blewitt/
Areas: Staffordshire (Rowley Regis/Darlaston); Bolton; Barrow in Furness; Westmorland; Ulverston; Middlesbrough;Huntingdon; Ireland.

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 05 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Trish. I was very surprised, I just hadn't considered that -  although looking back, Andrew did warn me that "I might not find everything that I was looking for".

Really makes me appreciate the Scottish certs, parents are on birth, marriage and death certificates.

Regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire