Author Topic: Grandma's School Photo  (Read 5318 times)

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Grandma's School Photo
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I always rib my nephew who got a report in kindergarten which had on it " could do better in cutting out paper" He will never live that down. ;D
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 05:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
We were not allowed to use anything but a pen and ink, even when  I went to secondary school at 11.  Fountain pens were just about allowed then. I was one of the ink monitors mentioned in a junior  school in Berkshire in the 1950's.  Does that make me old? S'pose it does if you are under 60.  If the ink powder got into your eyes, you couldn't see properly for days.
Regards
Vicki
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Just out of Interest on the subject, the expression "Not by a long chalk"scomes from the Blackboards Kids used to write on.

When your work was complete, the teacher would draw a line on the board, the longer the line the better the mark.

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have to add my bit to the small board and chalk tales, both my children used them in school for there first year to learn to write and they are the ripe old ages of 8 and 6  ;D

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk