Author Topic: Grandma's School Photo  (Read 5317 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grandma's School Photo
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Well Well!
       Why didn't I think of that.
                                                        Thanks deadants
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I remember sitting in a classroom just like this one. unpolised floorboards with ink stains. We use to have a bottle of swan ink sitting in the inkwell hole. Just as I got to sixth class, we were allowed to use fountain pens. The rich kids had the cartridges and the rest of us still used the inkwell. The fountain pen I had, had a little lever you pulled out that sucked the ink into the fountain pen. We were only allowed to use ballpoint pens for maths I think.

Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Very similar memories,
      I remember the ink monitor used to mix the fresh ink every morning from a powder. Mind you I reckon the most fun memories must have been tearing off smallpieces of blotting paper - soaking them in ink and then flicking the "ink bombs" off the end of a ruler; great fun so long as you didn't get caught!
                                            Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 02:25 GMT (UK) »
I completely forgot about the ink powder and blotting paper, It's all coming back now. I remember the desks were double seaters that had wrought iron sides in a fancy floral design if I remember correctly. Man, I can almost smell that classroom now.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 02:29 GMT (UK) »

Boy!

You guys must be VERY VERY old!!
Ink powder?? little levers?

::) ::) ::)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 02:36 GMT (UK) »
No, not old. I just went to a catholic primary school run by Nuns who thought ballpoints were just a fad. I was in my first year of high school when Armstong walkled on the moon. I missed a double math period that day. :) That should give you an idea of how old I am.

Offline Man of Kent

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 02:58 GMT (UK) »
I went to school in the 50's, and believe it or not learned to write on a small hand held Blackboard.

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 03:09 GMT (UK) »
I went to school in the 50's, and believe it or not learned to write on a small hand held Blackboard.

Well, I'm not quite that old. I know my mother had a slate and chalk but that would have been around 1935 to 1940 or there abouts. I wonder if the kids of today will be having this conversation. "I learned to read and write on a handheld PDA"  ;D

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Not that old either,
      But us people from cloth hat country always did things harder than everyone else - "ee lad tha can't tell us nowt abaht ard times"
      By the way, when I dig them out I may scan some of me mams or my  owd school reports that I got hold of recently, if it's of any interest to see what teachers used to write about us.
       Mam 1930s
       me    1950s

Denn