Author Topic: HERLIHY  (Read 3106 times)

Offline tuatha

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HERLIHY
« on: Sunday 04 January 04 02:06 GMT (UK) »
 :)
Hi Kerry people,

I am stuck with my Herlihy research. I have a Timothy HERLIHY who married a Gobinet/Abigail, Abbey, Gubby, Deborah DESMOND O'CONNOR. They would have been born circa. 1839 - I don't know where. From my research they could possibly have come from Cork. Timothy had a brother PATRICK and a sister SHELIA. Shelia stayed in Killorglin and had a descendant John GLEESON, so any help in that direction would be welcome.  I have Timothy and Deborah at Gortloughra Townland in Killorglin Parish in the 1870's. They had 10 children but only three reached adulthood. Patrick is believed to have gone to the USA.

My multinamed great grandmother above used all the names legitimately, they are all variants of Deborah. However I always thought Desmond was a family name, but now think she may have been married to an O'CONNOR and her maiden name was DESMOND. There is an Abigail DESMOND born 1839 in Co. Cork who would fit the bill wonderfully. Also I don't think Deborah would come from people who used middle names. They were quite poor. And she seemed to be older than most, when she started having children.

If anyone knows of any of these people or has any ideas, I would be pleased to hear from you.

Cheers.

Offline Donni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HERLIHY
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 04 22:52 BST (UK) »
Just came across Herlihy's in the 1901 Census for Co Kerry at:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/herlcens.html

in Gortloughra, Killorgan it lists the following all born in Kerry:

Deborah, Head of House, age 62, Widow, occupation farmer
Patrick, son, age 28, Labourer, single
Tim, son, age 21, Labourer, single
Debbie, daughter, age 6, Domestic
Bridget, daughter, age 10 Scholar

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: HERLIHY
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 May 07 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hiya Maggie

I spotted a website about the Herlihy Family of Killorglin, Co. Kerry and New Zealand. Prior to Cromwell's
invasion of Ireland in 1649 ten Herlihy families owned 12,000 acres in the Ballyvourney are of Co. Cork.

Chris