Author Topic: Ron Bolus:2nd Batt, SOUTH STAFFS REGIMENT 1900-20  (Read 16171 times)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Ron Bolus:2nd Batt, SOUTH STAFFS REGIMENT 1900-20
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 October 07 14:22 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the regimental association?

Most regt museums have now been handed over to the local authorities, and it's a case of NFI from most of the staff employed at these places now

The Northamptons publish a quarterly magazine with loads of int on previous engagements etc etc....I even found out that a relative had won a DCM with the 1st bn in 1917!

Also the Mercians (or what ever the Staffs are called these days... ::) :o) may have something hanging around the messes, or as he was a drummer...the Corps of Drums may be able to give you some insight.
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Doug Lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 October 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian
Information taken from History of the South Staffordshire Regiment by Jones.
“February 17th was fixed for an attack on Baillescourt Farm,which, if won, would give us the command of the Western approaches to Miraumont. The Battalion left their billets Farm in the evening of the 16th for the front line. The cloudy weather resulted in a pitch dark night, and the thaw made going very difficult. The Germans evidently expected an attack, and their artillery shelled the front and forming-up places continuously, so that the carrying parties were late in arriving. About 5.45 a.m. our barrage opened, and the assaulting lines began to crawl forward to get to their position in I. Trench. For some time the position was rather obscure. The Battalion had gained its objective, but was subjected to the German machine gun fire and casualties were heavy. Afterwards, it was discovered that the attack had been given away and the German line strongly reinforced with men and machine guns.”

64 men and four officers were killed in the assualt.
To answer your question the area of the attack was in the Courcelette subsectorwhich came under the Battle of the Somme.
The Thiepval Memorial, bears the names of more than 72,000 officers and men of the United Kingdom and South African forces who died in the Somme sector before 20 March 1918 and have no known grave. Hope this helps.

Regards Doug.

Researching war memorials and rolls of wolverhampton http://www.wolverhamptonwarmemorials.org.uk/index.html

Offline Jacky B

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 October 07 22:16 GMT (UK) »
My three uncles died in WW1 and were part of the 2nd Battallion South Staffordshire Regiment.  I have found details of their deaths at the National Archives in Kew and on the internet on the SSRegiment webite.

Today I have been around Jeffcock Road cemetery in Wolverhampton and there are several gravestones of soldiers from the SS Regiment that died in WW1.  I do not remember seeing the name Bolus, but there must have been around 12 graves specifically for SS Regiment soldiers. My Great Grandfather is buried in Jeffcock Rd Cemetery (1930) and he was from SS Regiment and received the DCM and OBE - both medals are in the Regimental museum in Lichfield (Whittinghton Barracks) so this could be a good place to start your search.

Good luck with your search.

JB

Offline colhoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 01 September 08 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hello - Iam reseatching my Grandfather, James Taylor born Stoke? Staffordshire  1890. He was a with 2Bn South Staffordshire Regt 1914 onwards. His nickname was Lucy - short for Lucifer - as he was supposedly a "bad boy in his time"

He married Theresa Agnes O'Brien of Whittington, Lichfield in 1914 (I presume before he went to War). He had a son George.  He has connections with Lichfield/Stoke/T Trentham Gardens and Manchester.  I do not know how long he served or where he went when discharged -he seems to have disappeared from that time onwards.

If you or anybody else has any information or photos I would love to hear about it.  I know very little about him and would dearly love to trace him or his family, or at least have some information on him.  I have read your message and as you indicate that you have some history there, I wondered if he appears there at all. Many thanks for your time.

Offline humpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 September 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
I can't help with your Grandfather James Taylor  but I do have a couple of photos from that time. My Grandfather was 8032 James Jones and he joined the Regiment in July 1907 at the age of 18. The photo of the guys in the woods has my Grandfather in tghe group and he is third from the right. I am guessing that the guys on parade are in Africa as my Grandad served in Pretoria. He was discharged in May 1914 on completion of service but was back in a nd sailed to LE Harve in September finally completing his time in 1919. He was one of the lucky ones and survived the war without serious injury. I would like to know more of his service history but I will have to visit the Regimental Museum for that. I do have his medals. discharge certificate, his Red Book and his Soldiers Small Book. So I do have a fair bit of his life right there.
Bouncing Emails

Offline frazercooper

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 06 December 12 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doug,

I've just been looking at your post

I have a relative who also died on the 17th February 1917.

William Wright 2nd lieutenant 2nd Btn S. Staffs DCM

Is there any information or photos you have that may include him?