Author Topic: Help with WW1 Medal Card  (Read 3221 times)

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with WW1 Medal Card
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 18:36 GMT (UK) »
swampy,he does have medals,if he wasnt awarded any campaign medals then he wouldnt have a MIC,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Mack, doesn't he have an MIC because he was wrongly awarded the SWB, Dave says in his post that there are no medals on it. They would have to produce one for just the SWB wouldn't they?

Kev.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 19:19 GMT (UK) »
hiya kev,yes its possible,but not all the medal cards mention medals,others have no theatre of war on them,but you and dave could be right,i think the MICs were designed to drive us nuts kev,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline djsides

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you all for the replies.

I should perhaps point out that the image in the first reply of this thread (from me) is clickable if you want to see the MIC in detail.

Maybe the MIC was issued just to contain the SWB, but other sources indicate that a different form was normally used. http://www.1914-1918.net/mics.htm

Surely the fact that none of the "standard" medals were awarded means he never went overseas?

Verbal family history has it that he was either executed or imprisoned for going AWOL. He married in June 1915, on license, and the story goes that he went AWOL the following year to see his son. However, as the MIC/SWB was issued, it seems unlikely to me that he was executed. There's not a lot more I can add, other than it is known his wife brought up her son alone. So maybe he was killed, or just deserted her.
Dave

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 00:55 GMT (UK) »
dave,he wasnt killed,i checked the roll of honour,he wasnt executed,and he wasnt court martialled,i have all three books and hes not listed in any of them,mack

Offline djsides

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 November 05 09:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks manmack and all who contributed.
Dave