Author Topic: Roper Families  (Read 3985 times)

Offline Barry

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Roper Families
« on: Friday 27 August 04 14:07 BST (UK) »
I've traced my line back to  Henry Roper, born 1702 in Cromford  -- and hit a brick wall !
He clearly lived there well before that upstart , Sir Richard Arkwright ! 
Would be interested to hear from anyone researching Derbyshire Ropers, especially in the Cromford/Matlock/Wirksworth region

Offline B.E.

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roper Families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 February 06 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Barry,
I realise it's an age since you first asked the question, but I've only just discovered the Roper factor in my own family. I wasn't aware of any strong link to your particular area of Derbyshire, but I did observe a Hannah Roper and her daughter Mary living chez Boden in Wirksworth. The fact that Mary was born in Sandiacre (where I was born) is the trigger.

My great-grandmother was Mary Hannah Roper, born in Sawley in 1862. We think her father was John Roper (b. 1834) and his mother also called Hannah (b. 1797). It looks as though the family was based largely in the Sawley/Kegworth area, so I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Any information we can possible exchange?

Offline Barry

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi B.E.
My Roper line has been centred around Teversal near Sutton-in-Ashfield in the North of Nottinghamshire since 1726 , when Henry Roper married Ann Bishop there, but I've strong reasons for  believing that Henry was born in Cromford, Derbyshire.
I'm aware of other Roper lines in the South of Nottinghamshire but haven't yet uncovered any links to my line.

Are you aware of an excellent website www.wirksworth.org.uk  ?
It has lot of data on Roper families e.g.
 http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/PR074.htm#1777

email me at Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message system to share email addresses and other personal material. Thank You  if you wish to exchange info'

Regards,
Barry

Offline sylke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Roper b c 1783 d 1842 I have not been able to find his parents although the 1841  census of Wirksworth  listed him as being born in Derbyshire. He married Ruth Maskery  26 Apr 1809 at Wirkworth  She was born 1783 dtr to Henry & Ruth{Walker}Maskery; Children to this couple were
Joshua 1809 m Elizabeth Clay moved to Derby from Wirksworth
Ann 1811 d 1849 m Henry Bower
Elizabeth **** 1822 d 1856 m Thomas Seeds my lines
 * They must have moved from Wirksworth for a period of time because a long time between births but I have been unable to find them.  My ancestor Ann Seeds b 1839 at Wirksworth d 1899 m her 2nd cousin Charles Maskrey