Author Topic: 1841 Census  (Read 6673 times)

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 Census
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Is there a 1841 Census and is it of any use?
Does anyone have access to it?
Would someone do a look up for me?
Scotland
Elgin-Moray : Crow, Fraser, Watson, MacLean
Aharacle-Jura- Argyll : Crow

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 05 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Is there a 1841 Census
Yes

and is it of any use?
Yes. It lists name, sex,occupation, age (rounded down to ther nearest 5 years for people aged 15 and over) and whether born in the county of residence or not.

> Does anyone have access to it?
It is widely available on microfilm - for example it can be consulted by arrangement in any LDS Church Family History Centre - see www.familysearch.org for a list of these

Some of it is online at www.freecen.rootsweb.com

Would someone do a look up for me?
It depends where!

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 November 05 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply!
I will check out the suggestions you made and see if I can find anything out on my "Crow's" on my own. If not maybe someone wouldn't mind seeing if they could find some information on John Crow's family in the Drainie, Moray area or Elgin, Moray area.
Thanks again!
Scotland

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 05 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Ok, I checked out the site, but no luck.
The familysearch.org site only does the 1881 Census for the UK and the freeweb site hasn't finished their project for the Moray area.
So I am back to "Does anyone have the 1841 Moray Census to look up "John Crow's family."?
Thanks to any and all!
Scotland

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 January 06 18:17 GMT (UK) »
give me the details and I will do an 1841 census lookup for you.  The information it will contain is the family and whether they were born in the county also age and occupation

Heather

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heather!
   Thanks for the reply! I hope that you can find something.
I am looking for information on John Crow() in the Moray area. He was married to a Jannet (39)and they had 6 kids by 1841 but only 5-4 might be listed. The kids names are - William(14), Agnes(12), James(10), John( 8 ), George(6), and Margaret(3).
All were born in the Moray area, Margaret was born in Speymouth and in 1842 they have another child born in Drainie.
What I am really hunting for is the age of John Crow, father, and where he was born at.
Thanks for your help! I have been running in circles for more information on John Crow.
Scotland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 09:52 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on John Crow() in the Moray area.

Have you tried the people search on http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp ?

Forfarian
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Crowhunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 January 06 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, thank you.
The site does not list John Crow, the father, just his kids and his wife Jannet.
It just states that he was part of the Lossiemouth coastguard and that he was the husband to Janet.
Nothing else.
Unless I am overlooking something........
Thanks for the try.
Scotland

Offline HeathersLaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 06 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I noticed that Agnes was born Burghead and that her dad was a Preventive Officer I will try and find out was this occupation was from the Heritage Centre.  I have looked the net and from what i can find it would seem that it has to with customs.

I did a search of Elgin census and they are not there so I will look in the Drainie census tomorrow.  I see that Margaret died in speyside so could it be possible that she was also born in Dranie and do you want me to look up her birth for you?

Heather