Author Topic: help needed... glue/ elgie  (Read 1422 times)

Offline lucretia666

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
help needed... glue/ elgie
« on: Wednesday 02 November 05 09:03 GMT (UK) »
please help!

my mum has a mystery uncle! his name was Thomas Henry Elgie dob1922 born in middlesbro to a woman with the surname glue!

we believe that this woman is my ggrandmothers sister!

my ggrandmother had tom live with them and their children in surrey! my mum had to call tom "uncle", and was not allowed to ask questions!

due to circumstances, i cannot get the birth cert at the moment, but would like to know if any one could tell me a reason this might have happened, or if anyone has him in their tree at all!

many thanks for looking

luc666
peters, ware, wright, glue, glew, elgie, tippins, phillips, cockram, harding,

Offline Jenie_Oakley75

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census Information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: help needed... glue/ elgie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 16:11 GMT (UK) »
I searched on www.teesvalley-indexes.co.uk and found this entry:

Search Results

Search births - results for THOMAS ELGIE 1920 to 1924

Result Year Forename Initial Ref Number Click to contact
1 1922 THOMAS H S-W-056-0-0309 Stockton-on-Tees

You can contact the register office through this site to check if it is the correct certificate, so you could ask them to check the mother's name. It does sound like Thomas Elgie was most probably illegitimate, which would explain why his background was not talked about. Illegitimacy does seem to have been quite common - I have come across it with my own ancestors a few times, and in some cases the children did still use their father's surname, or had it as a middle name.

Jenie

Oakley, Goring, Briars, Webster, Parker, Ellis, Mardlin, Dodds, Maddams, Payton, Bygrave, Birkinshaw, Smith, Barker, Chalkley, Waudby, Denton, Kilby, Marlow, Childs, Coleman, Gray, Bickerton, Colley, Hirst, Jackson, Atkin, Edson, Gale, Linsley, Brazier, Dicks, Harris, Clapham, Summerly, Usher, Spicer, Bunnage, Walker, Benson, Shaw, Hartley, Vasey, Creasaw, Mawe, Palfrey, Marshall, Clement, Nicholson, Kirton, Wright, Appleton, Humble, Stamper, Thorpe, Sharp, Wikinson, Raper, Owen, Hanscom, Hill.