Author Topic: 1851 Census Lookup Langholm Dumfries  (Read 11014 times)

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Lookup Langholm Dumfries
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 November 05 11:32 GMT (UK) »
 There is also another ancestor of mine born in Durham (grandaughter of Robert Hope 1851 census in Norfolk )
Agnes Irvine Hope born 1871 name carried on to 1881 Census Liverpool Agnes Irvine Hope 1901 census Liverpool another Agnes Irvine Hope.
All had a sister  named Isabella Haven`t found one in 1861 as yet.

Name went from Irving to Irvine. Could have been spelled as enumerator heard it I suppose.

I will have to register on website given by Nusby, for 
Isabella Irving Hope. Is this a pay to view site.

Victoria
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL
SEALES SURREY CRADDOCK,HAMPSHIRE

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 November 05 11:58 GMT (UK) »
No you don't have to register or pay. Just enter the details in the search form on this page:

http://www.dumgal.gov.uk/historicalindexes/census.aspx

They've done a great job putting all the data online - and for free. I think it is a copyright issue that prevents me just copying the info, so you have to go and look yourself.

It took me a wee while to get to grips with it though. The trick is to first search for an individual and from that search find the one that looks most likely (from where they are living, their age or where they were born) and then look for the Household number - in your case 6/14. Then go back to the search form again and this time remove the individual's name and surname and just enter the parish name and the Household No. Then you are taken to see all the individuals listed in that house, which could include servants or nephews or mothers-in-law, all with different surnames from the one you are looking for.

You won't find Isabella Irving Hope because she was born 2 years after the census, but you will find all your Hope family, including 5 children and a servant and you can find out age, where they were born (which helps with the trace back), occupation, etc. From the ages, it looks as though Anne's message is spot on for the births of James and Janet

It's a treasure trove!

Jo

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 November 05 12:19 GMT (UK) »
PS I expect you know that Scottish families often, but not always, called the first children after grandparents. In the Hope family, the oldest child is James, then  Anthony, then Elizabeth then Catherine. You will see that  Anthony and Catherine are after the maternal grandparents, so that makes the Janet Yeoman birth that Anne found pretty much cast-iron.

However, if that pattern has been followed, then I would expect James's parents to be called James and Elizabeth. There is no George or Agnes, which means that the James Hope born in Gretna may not be the right one...  However, you are lucky in that James presumably died after 1855 in which case there will be a death certificate (assuming he died in Scotland) which will tell you who his parents were and where he was born.

The other thing to do is to get someone to look up the memorial inscriptions for Langholm churchyard. There may well be a gravestone that would help you out. Sometimes they mention parents too.

Jo

Offline johking

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 November 05 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Sorry me again, but this is exciting

Your Janet Hope's parents are still alive in Langholm too along with Janet's 2 unmarried siblings. Look for house 2/32.

And interestingly, one of the Isabella Irvings lives in the same street as them - Henry Street. (2/46)

Right must go and do some work.

Good luck!

Jo

Offline VICTORIA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • AT SPES INFRACTA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 November 05 12:54 GMT (UK) »
What an excellent site!!! It looks as though our family riddle has been solved thanks to your help. Also I found an Isabel Hope living at 839 IRVINE`S CLOSE !!!
Household 5/12 age 66 Husband John Hope age 70

What a strange coincidence. !! Will look at all records found and try to sort this out.

How exciting. Must go and do some work myself.

Victoria
COLBECK,WHITEHAVEN CUMBERLAND
COLEBECK,HOPE,MILLER,LIVERPOOL
SCHAMBERG,MEMMEL PRUSSIA
ROCHE,ROACH,MAHER,FOY IRELAND
SANDFORD.TYNAN, LIVERPOOL.
HUBBARD,TAYLOR KENT.
HOPE NORTHUMBERLAND
SANDFORD NEWCASTLE/UPON/TYNE.

LANCASTER,GOWLAND,NORTHUMBERLAND
FOY, ROSCOMMON IRELAND,LIVERPOOL.
SMITH,HAMPSHIRE, & LIVERPOOL