Author Topic: Two men, same age, same name.  (Read 1236 times)

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Two men, same age, same name.
« on: Friday 27 August 04 21:00 BST (UK) »
I have found two relatives of the same age called George Thomas Woolton in the 1881 Census, both born Strood, both mariners on the River Medway.  One is married at that time and at home in Rochester on census night with his family and I have found all his family details in the parish records.  The other is recorded as being on his barge on the night of the census and he is unmarried, so this isn't a duplication or mix-up in the records.

Any ideas of how to untangle this problem?  I have looked through the parish registers for the unmarried George's birth, but have drawn a blank.

Honeybun
Buckett, Woolton: Kent
Buckett: Hampshire and Surrey
Taylor: Wigan
Preece: Herefordshire

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Two men, same age, same name.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 04 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Honeybun

I think you and I will be searching for our ancestors in the same place.  Mine were also from Strood, Frindsbury etc, also mariners on the River Medway right down to my Grandad.  And also, one of mine was on a boat on 1881 census night ... shame it isn't the same surname though, that would have been spooky!!  Maybe we could do a deal and keep an eye out for each others surnames?

Jen.
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 04 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Great to have someone else researching in the same place - I was beginning to think I was the lone one on Roots Chat!  I have had one reply on my original Woolton request from someone, also in Medway, but she is not researching Wooltons although we did find some relatives in common in the early 1800's.  What surname(s) are you looking for from the list - are they all in the Strood area?  Will certainly keep an eye out when I'm looking through the registers etc.  My grandad too was a Barge Master, all his brothers and his uncles worked on the river as well right back to my great great grandfather Thomas Darby Woolton who married Elizabeth Parrott in 1828 at Frindsbury.  That's my brick wall - I can't get around it at the moment.  I can't find his birth in the parish registers, or if he had brothers and sisters.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Honeybun.

Offline English Jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 04 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hi honeybun

My main name interest in the Strood, Frindsbury area is Letley.  I'm actually interested in the surname Letley anywhere in the world as I'm trying(!) to connect them all up.  They all seem to come originally from Kent so you never know.  Where abouts are you?  Are you in Kent or further afield?  Have you been on the CityArk website to look at Parish records for the area?

Kind regards
Jen.
Letley, Kent/Anywhere ... Attempting a One Name Study.
Dunn, Yorkshire/Kent,
Garrett, Kent
Petyt, Yorkshre/Kent
Sheehan, Ireland/Kent
Summersett, Kent
Webb, Kent

Offline honeybun

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 August 04 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I'm in Surrey, so not too far to go to Archives in Strood but I'm working in the week so can only get there some Saturdays.  I have tried the CityArk website - it's very hit and miss and it takes ages to look something up but it can be useful.  I have put out a lookup request for the George Thomas on the Kent board, so maybe something will come up.

Keep in touch

Regards
Honeybun.