Author Topic: St. Patricks Church Castletown-Kilpatrick.  (Read 25605 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: St. Patricks Church Castletown-Kilpatrick.
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 14 August 11 20:10 BST (UK) »
Records are recorded by parish - so the marriage probably took place in the parish church for Casteltown/Kilpatrick. If there was a chapel of ease in the parish at the time and the marriage took place there, then the details would have been forwarded to the parish church to record in the parish register.

I am fairly certain that the RootsIreland webpage shows the denomination of the record you have paid to view, but it also allows you to search by parish. The denomination is shown in brackets after the parish name - i.e. RC=Catholic, CI=Church of Ireland, ME=Methodist etc

Church of Ireland records for Castletown only go back to 1884 on RootsIreland, so if the marriage in question took place before this then it must be Catholic. Another way to tell for baptism records is that in general Church of Ireland baptisms dont show mother maiden surname, whereas RC baptism records do.

As GerryS mentioned above the St. Patrick's being discussed earlier in this topic is Church of Ireland. The RC church could be dedicated to a different saint. Note that this was not a constant name, as a church could be rededicated under a new name after renovations or rebuilding.

The RC Parish church was located in the village of Castletown, which is located close to the road between of Navan (the county town) and Nobber. You can see the location of the RC Chapel on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survay of Ireland Map : Castletown RC Church   (select the Historic 6" maps for the 1820s/40s view)

You can see the current church at the same location on Google Street View - Castletown, Co. Meath RC Church

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

I see that one of the families you are researching is the Farrelly family. Are these from the Castletown area also? I'm looking into the Farrellys of Castletown myself - my great-grandmother Catherine McCabe was baptised in the Castletown COI Church in 1881, the daughter of one Margaret Farrelly. Currently waiting on some certs from the GRO to find out Margaret's parents' names, do you think there is any connection with your Farrellys?

regards,

Brian

Offline GerryS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,
Thanks for your message. Yes my Farrell's (not Farrelly's - this was an error on my part) are also from Castletown Kilpatrick. However I suspect that spelling of names was not very fixed at that times so perhaps the origins of Farrell, Farrelly and indeed Farley are the same.
You mention your Catherine McCabe as being baptised in the Castletown COI. I presume you mean the Castletown-Kilpatrick, Co Meath Church of Ireland. All my ancestors are far as I know are Catholic. I have not managed to get far back with my ancestors there but I believe my great grandmother was Margaret Farrell who married Felix Smyth in 1881. On the marriage certificate her father is Patrick Farrell (dead) Farmer and she was a housekeeper from the townland of Knock.
I would be interested in the results of your research. If you make 3 posts I can send you my e-mail address and some further information that may be of interest.
Gerry

Smyth, Markey, Farrell & McNamee Meath
Newton, Beck, Tebbs & Watts Leicestershire
Hindley & Valentine Lancashire
GÜVENÇ, ÜNDEŞ, AKGÜL & TAŞ Istanbul Turkey

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me Gerry. That's right, my Farrellys were COI, but I'm not too sure how exactly that stood for previous generations. Certainly my great-grandmother, though baptised a Protestant, practised as a Catholic and was married to a Catholic - I think it was the way her mother was COI and her father was Catholic so the boys were brought up Catholic, the girls Protestant. I'll have to do more research to get the ins and outs of it! Hopefully I'll get the certificates this weekend or the start of next week and be able to bring it back a generation or two, perhaps get a link in between the two families. Luckily the government started registering Protestant marriages in 1845 in Ireland, nearly 20 years before they started registering Births, Deaths and Marriages for everybody in 1864, so might be able to go a bit further back.

Offline brianoleary85

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 August 11 23:30 BST (UK) »
I'll just post this third message so I can PM you Gerry.

Offline BLSstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 October 19 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning,
If this church is no longer is in use, where do I write for information on my ancestors who were baptized and married there?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Barbara

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:34 GMT (UK) »

If they weren't R.C. you could look for any Marriages on

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

which is the Irish Govt BDM Website and one can get Free Certs.  Castletown is in Navan Reg Distruct.

There is a security Captcha to solve and one can use Initials to sign in.

Safe site, no Reg or Sub needed.

Marriages up to 1864 are non RC... so a search like this will get any for a particular Surname in that District, no need to complete all boxes.

One can add first name if known.

Very easy site to use

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/what-civil-records-are-on-line  explains years covered etc.

If one only knows that "someone Married e.g around 1874" for example then use Year Range 1872 to 1876....

one can even leave District blank if unknown.  Just put name, year ranges 1872 to 1876   and tick Marriage box and Search.

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 28 October 19 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline BLSstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 28 October 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you !!
:-)