Author Topic: Southern Cemetery Manchester  (Read 9805 times)

Offline june49

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Cemetery Manchester
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 November 04 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I would love to take part in this operation can't wait
macclesfield droylsdenGorton Eccles shropshire Llanfairwaterdine staffordshire alstonefield and southern Ireland hanley

Offline Biko

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 December 04 04:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I am also very new to this site(great site by the way. greater still in that it is free)

Well I come from Manchester and most of my family are buried in Southern (buried a sister there just last year)

However I now live in Birmingham, but I do visit Manchester (network rail permitting) on a regular basis so would be able to assist in this project, with plenty of advance notice  to arranging TOIL at work.

Having said all that I don't have a clue what this entails but I am a willing pupil, oh and I own two digital cameras.

More than happy to volunteer my time.
WORRALLS. HURST, HIGHFIELD
Manchester-Hulme, Deansgate, Earlstown (Newton in Makerfield) Chorlton on Medlock, Newton Heath, Ardwick.

Offline Sheila Whittingham

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 01 January 05 21:17 GMT (UK) »
A large number of mine and husbands Victorian family are buried in Southern Cemetery.I would love to help but live in Mid Wales now.Is there any way folk like me can help in some way from a distance please.,
Regards Sheila.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Wynn.Wynne,Cowdrey,Cholerton,Stortz,Whittingham,Potter, Garnett,Flower,Gray,Given,Matthews,DeBruyne. Short.

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 09 January 05 07:02 GMT (UK) »
It is  great news that these records will be made available. I have been hoping they would for some time.  I am  interested in knowing the answer to  Skippy's question posted Sept 17th.  which was:

"Will the project be able to gain access to burial records in order to correlate
info in respect of inscripted and unmarked plots"

I have some ancestors  there that were too poor to have headstones.

Also, there are the cremation records. Perhaps some people would like to be able to have that information.

I would like to help transcribe but I live overseas. If the records were going to be scanned, I could help, as I have transcribed that way for the Free BMD.

Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline Michelle A Pearson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 02 February 05 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Has the transcribing begun? Will this information be available to all. I'm in Canada, but if you can think of a way for me to help in project - by all means let me know.

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 18 February 05 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I'd love to help, but it might be a bit tricky from France! (I rambled a long way...)  Do you have any dates fixed?  If it's during school holidays I might be able to arange something, because it sounds a super project.

Failing that, could some kind person please go to the non-conformist part of the cemetery, Section L, No.1014, where Helen James is buried, and ask her (loudly!) whether she really married granddad's father, and if so, where, when, and what name she was using at the time!!! >:(
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

skippy

« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 February 05 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Admin

What is the staus on this project  ?????????????????

Many volunteers.....not much feedback

SKIPPY

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 November 05 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone working on this  project ?

Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline mikehicks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 November 05 09:49 GMT (UK) »
sorry i haven't read all the posts here but I have done some grave recording before and it's a lot easier to use a dictating machine rather than photographing monuments.

There is a group called Cemsearch who do cemetery transcribing. Might be worth finding out if they have already done the Southern Cemetery.
Cartledge, Rushton, Winnington (Salford/Manchester)
Hicks(Manchester, Monmouthshire)