Author Topic: Looking for Kelly's in a haystack  (Read 4428 times)

Offline drnick

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • The coolest team on ice!!!
    • View Profile
Looking for Kelly's in a haystack
« on: Thursday 03 November 05 06:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is Nick Wingrove from Canada and I'm looking for my Irish ancestors. I  am looking for the records for Patrick Kelly b. abt. 1854 and his wife Mary b. abt. 1854. They had 1 son named Michael b. abt 1874 before they moved to Middlesbrough, Yorkshire which is where I found them on the 1891 and 1901 census's along with 8 more children. My dad tells me that my uncle told him that they were from Dingle in county Kerry. Would anybody care to help me find a Kelly in haystack 8)
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Kelly's in a haystack
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 November 05 04:55 GMT (UK) »
OK, Obviously this isn't working!!! Could somebody please help me find a Kelly in Ireland. Clearly my Dad was wrong, my Kelly's were not from county Kerry so, based on the lack of response  where were they from? I see that the Irish national archives did not keep any census records prior to 1922. So, what are my options?

Thanks, Nick
RIP 1959-September 2013
Wingrove, Spice, Morley, Harman, Reynolds, Kelly, Ashley, Barton, Maddock, Pope, Galbreath, Lancebury, Pollard, Welham, Freeman, Barnard, Harrison, Hart, Ingrey, Wetherill, Stites

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 November 05 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nick
Were they in England or Ireland n the 1871/1861/1851 censuses cos if they were I could look them up.
You could try all the available Irish sites e.g.
www.irishgenealogy.ie
http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlker/index.html
http://www.cmcrp.net/index.php
For a small fee you could ask the local genealogy centre to search the family for you. There is one in Killarney for Kerry but it looks as if the service is supended for the moment as they are putting the info into an electronice database.
My husband and I both have loads of ancestors that come from all parts of Ireland and it has taken a year to make any kind of headway with certain families and names
It is certainly worth it when you make some connections!
On rootschat you will see that some of the counties have loads of posts and replies everyday but others are quiet with few people posting messages or having any info available
Good luck and keep trying and you will make some progress
Best wishes
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scarbro: It looks to me like they moved to England sometime between 1874 and 1876. The oldest son Michael was born in Ireland in 1874 and the next son Joseph was born in West Hartlepool, Yorkshire in 1876. I expect this is going to be a tough one. I had a look at the sites you posted and they could have some potential. I'm going to have to find the time to have a good long look.

Thanks, Nick
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 November 05 19:12 GMT (UK) »
OK I registerd on CMC records and put a posting on the county Kerry site but judging from the number of responses from other postings I don't expect to hear very much back but I still have to try. I wonder it would be possible to check immmigration or ship records to see if I could find a more accurate place of birth? ???

Thanks, Nick
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 14 November 05 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed that I don't have the 1881 census. :P I wonder if somebody could look it up for me to see if it gives a more detailed place of birth.

Thanks, Nick
RIP 1959-September 2013

Offline scarbro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nick
I found your family on the 1891 and 1901 census ok
Am I right in thinking that by 1881 there was
Patrick born Ireland c 1854
Mary born Ireland c 1849/53
Michael born Irleland c.1874
Joseph born Wet Hartlepool c.1876
Kate/Catherine born West Hartlepool c.1877
John born West Hartlepool c 1878
as Margaret Ann James and Bridget were born later

I notice that Patrick's mother Catherine is with them in the 1891 census: born Ireland c.1831 widow

I have looked high and low for the family but cannot find them on the 1881 census

Would it be a good idea to request a look-up on the Durham/North Yorkshire sites in case someone else can find them?

Best wishes
Scarbro
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Worcester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm Nick's Mum. He will be in bed as he works nights. He will be on later.

Thank you so much for finding my Granny's family scarbro. I really appreciate your help.

Kath

Offline drnick

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 16 November 05 22:02 GMT (UK) »
What is the Durham/North Yorkshire site?
RIP 1959-September 2013