Author Topic: Wiltshire Muster / Militia Lists 1790-1830  (Read 2315 times)

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Wiltshire Muster / Militia Lists 1790-1830
« on: Thursday 03 November 05 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a John Meech in the 1851 census (living in Chelsea) - in the occupations column it has  'Captain Militia' ?

John Meech was born in Westbury, Wiltshire around 1780.  Does anyone have a Militia or Muster list for this area and period that would be able to have a look for John (or any other Meech) for me.   Pretty please ;)

Also, what sort of information would be included?

Thanks in advance

Helen

Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gjervis

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Muster / Militia Lists 1790-1830
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 November 05 10:00 GMT (UK) »
I am afraid you will probably need to go to the PRO at Kew. They have muster rolls for militia but do not cover all the country.  Militia Records 1759 - 1925 (WO 68). You will need to know the details of the regiment beforehand as the rolls are not indexed. But if you know this then the records will be chronological and arranged by rank and surname. Each biannual book will have details of pay and service. Discharge papers may also be there.
Possibly more useful to you would be the Militia Attestation Records 1806-1915 (WO 96) which were filled in on recruitment and annotated to the date of discharge to form a record of service.

I suggest you check out the PRO website to see if they have the records you are looking for.

Best of luck

;)
Graham
Names: Rushent, Husselbee, Husselby, Crutchley, Woodier, Jervis, Barker,

Locations: Staffordshire, Wiltshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, London

Military: Grenadier Guards, Yeoman of the Guards, Crimea, Army WW1

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Muster / Militia Lists 1790-1830
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 November 05 10:04 GMT (UK) »
hi Graham

Thanks for info - off to check the site now. ;)

regards

Helen
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON