Author Topic: Ason in Oxfordshire  (Read 1766 times)

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
  • Society Street in Hunslet
    • View Profile
Ason in Oxfordshire
« on: Thursday 03 November 05 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I've just found my greatx2 grandmother Elizabeth HODGKINSON on the 1851 census in Notts. She states she was born in Ason, Oxfordshire, but I can't find it in Genuki or streetmap. Can anyone tell me, please, which parish it was in or, if it's a mishearing by the enumerator, what the parish was likely to be.

Many thanks,
John
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ason in Oxfordshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 November 05 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Try Aston

Sue

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue - looks like there are a few Astons to go at: Aston and Cote, Middle Aston, North Aston, Aston Rowant. I wonder...
Kirkland in Derbyshire and Leeds; Francis, Elson, Coxon, Tempest, Wheeldon and Barker in Derbyshire; Cawood/Coward, Richmond, Brier/Brear, (H)Akins, Winterbottom, Nicholson, Mellor, Noble, Atkinson, Moor(e), Sloan(e), Tyson, Amos and Cooper  in Yorkshire; Goddard/Godarth in Devon, 17th Regiment and Yorkshire; Hodgkinson and Shrimpton in Bucks; Clewley in Oxfordshire.

Offline suegill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you found her in another census?  Whats her name in 1861 etc.

Sue

Alker - Aspull, Hindley
Marsh - Atherton
Blain - Atherton
Gill - Atherton
Hogg - Loscoe, Crich
Harrison - Heanor, Ruddington
Earnshaw - Heanor
Cope - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley
Daykin - Heanor, Loscoe, Mapperley

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 November 05 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I have looked for in 1861 - I think she was probably dead by then. She was born, per 1851, in 1791. Her married name is Hodgkinson - she married Charles Hodgkinson from Amersham, Bucks - but I haven't found her maiden name yet. Their daughter Elizabeth was born 1831 in Aylesbury, Bucks but they were in Nuthall, Notts in 1851 and Elizabeth junior married in Spondon, Derbyshire in 1856.

Thanks again for your help,
John

Offline Oxfordshire FHS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 November 05 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue - looks like there are a few Astons to go at: Aston and Cote, Middle Aston, North Aston, Aston Rowant. I wonder...

John

You've missed Steeple Aston from the list !

If it's any help, this society's website at http://www.ofhs.org.uk/web/ofhs.html has an Oxfordshire parishes map that's a completely free download. It'll help you to see where these places are in relation to each other.

Paul Gaskell
Minutes Secretary and Publicity Officer
Oxfordshire Family History Society
Web : www.ofhs.org.uk
E-mail : publicity@ofhs.org.uk

Offline redshank

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 November 05 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that - very helpful, and my apologies for missing out Steeple Aston.

Since the suggestion that Ason could be Aston, I have looked at the marriages of Charles Hodgkinson that I can find and then followed up the brides. There is one in the IGI in St Pancras, London in 1827 to Elizabeth Clewley, and there is an Elizabeth Clewly who was born in 1789 and baptised in Aston Rowant in 1818. Probably a complete red herring, but it might be worth following up a bit further.

I've also reread my original post - it was, of course, Elizabeth Hodginson born in 1831 who was my 2xgrtgrndmother, not her mother. I'm not quite that old.

Thanks again,
John