Author Topic: My Surnames in Essex  (Read 36416 times)

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
Re:My Surnames in Essex
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 29 May 04 22:31 BST (UK) »
"Hi - I'm also looking for Playle's in Essex esp. John Playle 1836 born Woodham Ferrers Essex and son William Playle 1877 Latchingdon - any relation?"

Martin, was your John married to susannah?
if so, this is the only John aged 24 [born 1836] on the 1861 maldon census
PLAYLE   JOHN   24      1089/134   PRL
PLAYLE   SUSANNAH   21      1089/134   PRL

if you want a list of Playles, just ask
jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline jaq

• RootsChat Senior
  • willing to share resources
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 May 04 12:19 BST (UK) »
hi martin,
as requested list of PLAYLES in Maldon Census 1861.
do you have the census details of john and susannah ?

no i dont have any Playles in my tree -yet!  :)

att playles.txt

jaq
Appleby Appleton Bass Dewey Dilks ELEY Fox Foy Frankland Furnivall Hammond Hume lawrence Lewis Manning Moody Muschamp Peck Plumley Spalding Spencer Thurston Watson Willsher Wright Youngs
---
Balls Barker Burton Cambridge Cook Dow Freeman Goody Harrington Mitchell Mitson Penn*ck Playford Smith

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 May 04 19:41 BST (UK) »
I've noticed the Playle name crop up lots of times in Essex under various spellings. This is one that I have made a note of because the lady's husbands don't seem to last too long, if it's the same lady throughout...
Transcript from South Benfleet marriage register (Essex Record Office T/R 203/10 pages 584-597)
1758 Apr 22 PLAYL William m DOYORSON Mary
1762 Sep 22 MATTHEWS Henery widower (sic) m
                     DIORSON Mary widow (signs DIARSON)
                     Licence
1765 May 20 CAGE John widow (sic) m PLAIL Mary
                     widow
If anyone wants any Playle etc marriage details let me know. I may have them

Offline molljohn

• RootsChat Member
  • ONE AND ALL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 June 04 22:43 BST (UK) »
hi
  I see you have an interest for the name milbourn, well the link may be the same I have been researching the name melbourne in stebbing and bocking in essex i have gone back to 1800 to owen melbourne and his marriage to a catherine (kitty) taylor
                             any connection?
                                        regards john
WE ARE RESEARCHING -  BUCKLAND,CHAPMAN,CUBITT.LEAHY,MELBOURNE,WINN, WEIDIG,VINTON & VENNING

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 July 04 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi - I'm also looking for Playle's in Essex esp. John Playle 1836 born Woodham Ferrers Essex and son William Playle 1877 Latchingdon - any relation?
Martin Playle  :)
[/quote
I came across this marriage in Essex Marriage transcripts:
GREAT BURSTEAD: 1832 Mar 3 PLAYLE John m. SUELL Susan widow
I wonder if they are the parents of John born 1836?

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking forwards to the past!!
    • View Profile
Re: My Surnames in Essex
« Reply #14 on: Monday 12 July 04 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi feldemar and tarajobrien,

I'm search for my allen roots as well. Mines as close to essex as you can be and not be, born in Glemsford near Sudbury in 1833/34 name of James. No details of parents so far but traced to Burnham, essex in 1861 where he married a local girl, then Stratford St Mary in Suffolk in 1871 (thanks Chris in 1066land) and 1881 before moving to Norwich, Norfolk. I found quite an enclave of Allens in Glemsford in the 1881 census.
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline Maurice Nunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 January 05 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Snap,

I have Playles, Nunns, and Barretts in my tree, see my entry Nunns of Essex.
Mainly all Maldon BMD registered apart from Pre 1837which are Parishes off Bradwell,Tillingham,Steeple and Dengie.

We should liase?

Maurice Nunn

Offline tj100

• RootsChat Extra
  • looking forwards to the past!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at my post for Allen of Glemsford in the Suffolk posts. Some stirling work by Rick and Krisjoint
Norfolk and Suffolk: allen, bentley, edwards, green(e), king, long, mansfield,, reeve, reynolds, salmon Essex: page, palmer, nice London: greenland, Yorkshire: fox, harrison, hepinstall, hirst, holland, more to come.....

Offline LesleyS nee playle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Playl search
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 March 05 00:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm very new to this so please forgive me if I seem simple. I am trying to trace my fathers line. we have always used the name Playle as a surname. My grandfather was divorced and estranged when my father was 19 so I didn't know much about him. After unsuccessfully searching for him on the 1891 census and BMD I decided to search for his marriage (which I knew the date of) He was listed as a PLAYL I have since found his father who came to Grimsby on a fishing vessel, (also listed as Playl)  (1881 census) He was John Playl A.B Seaman aged 18, Unmarried, Birthplace Maldon Essex, Address "Cambria" Gt Grimsby Lincoln England.
PRO ref RG11/3277 Folio 123 Page - FHL film no. 1341781
(I have no idea yet what the last figures mean but I am hoping someone can tell me.) He eventually married an Ellen Elizabeth who was a year older but either was at sea (on a different Trawler) or dead by the time of the 1891 survey.
Please forgive my ignorance, I have probably missed something that seems obvious to a seasoned researcher. Thank you for reading this message.