Author Topic: Fix my old beefeater please  (Read 3837 times)

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fix my old beefeater please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 November 05 11:17 GMT (UK) »
vikki

Stunning - Stunning - Stunning  :)

Makes me want to give up trying  :'(
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline kizmiaz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 November 05 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Vikki

Thats beautiful!

It may be a bit pedantic, but I found this really useful site (http://www.worldmedals.co.uk/Rib/Britrib/britribb.htm) which shows the ribbon colours for medals, and I think the one you have as yellow and green was either the Indian Mutiny Medal or the Kings Police Medal for Distinguished Service. They are the only ones with light-dark-light-dark-light bands. The one next to it is either the China Medal of 1857 or the Crimea Medal, but I'd go for China because the bars on the Crimea medal were much more decorative. The other ones with the single shade could be any of the Orders of Chivalry.

(I found the site really good when I needed to colourise a photo of my grandfather in his military finery, and could work out four of five medal ribbons and may be able to use them to trace parts of his service.)

See, I said it may be pedantic.  ::)

Glen

Offline vhansen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 November 05 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much guys!

Kenhar, don't give up! It just takes a lot of practice (you should see my early stuff).
Glen, that site is an excellent reference!  I didn't spend a lot of time on this one, and didn't do any research on the ribbons/medals.  Usually, when working with customers, they provide the ribbon colors, or name of the ribbon, and then I research it for correct colors.  That site will be quite handy!

Offline Tabby Cat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 November 05 00:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for the help and links to identify these medals.  I've had a good search around and the medals appear to be from left to right 1897 50th Anniversary Commemorative Medal, 1853 South Africa Medal, 1860 China Medal, Indian Mutiny Medal and good conduct/long service medal. 

He looks great!

Geraldine
Mark - Hampshire; Miller, Hanson - Cheshire; Boyhan, Merriman - Ireland; Gardner, Wilkinson, Nowlan, Hefford, Peatling

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 November 05 15:52 GMT (UK) »
vikki

Hope you don't mind me playing around with your version of the picture. I have darkened the background so he stands out more and blended and softened the colours.

Ken
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones