Author Topic: Cheshire lookup - Swindells  (Read 3242 times)

Offline karlowe1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cheshire lookup - Swindells
« on: Friday 04 November 05 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, looking for help please with the Swindells family. I have a John Swindells b. abt 1760 died 21.3.1850 buried Norbury Church....can anyone help with his whereabouts in the 1841 cencus? (church record states Brinnington at time of death)
I also have James Swindells b. abt 1789 died 1.5.1850 also buried Norbury Church ( I think this is John's son) anything for 1841 please? (again Brinnington shown at time of death)
James wife.... Martha b. abt 1800 died 1853/55  buried Norbury Church....church register shows address Prince Street, Brinnington.....any help please re 1841 and 1851 cencus.
I then have James Swindells b. 14.2.1819  died 7.4.80 (James and Marthas son) married to Alice Swindells b.11.2.1826 d. 31.12.1900 both again buried in Norbury Church and in 1871 they were living at 1 Princess Street, Portwood. He was shown as a coal dealer born in Poynton. Lookups required please for previous cencus please.
Sorry it sounds like a shopping list but I've now got my teeth into this after visiting Norbury and finding that the family grave contains 8 persons.  Unfortunately the stone had grassed over but I'm a little bit nearer.  I intend to revistit the stockport area to continue my research but finally........
one last request to locals in the area does Prince street brinnington still exist and Princess street stockport.
Thank you so much for any information. :)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire lookup - Swindells
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karlowe,

I think that this might need a bit of untangling(!), but here goes - 1851 HO107 2157/355 Page 1, 19 Princess St, Brinnington:

James Swindells, Head, Mar, 55, Wharehouse Man born Ches Marple
Martha Swindells, Wife, Mar, 51, Domestic Duties born Ches Torkington
James Swindells, Uncle, Mar, 31, Coal Dealer born Ches Pointon
Alice Swindells, Aunt, Mar, 25, Weaver Cotton Mill born Ches Stockport
Wm Swindells, Son, born Ches Brinnington

There's a big blot over Wm's age - could be 2 months or 24!!  My guess is that it's 2 months and he's the son of James 31 and Alice 25 - maybe someone else has a different version and could take a look.  I'm not sure that this helps you much as from your message James snr should be dead!

I haven't got access to the 1841 but hope this helps you,

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline karlowe1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant, thank you so much Jean...William would just be aged 2 months or so, he too is in the family grave, he died in 1854 aged 3 years.  You are right about the untangling, I thought James and James were father and son. You are right about James snr being dead, he wasn't, it's my mistake it should be died 1859, I've written it down wrong.
Thank you so much for you time.Karen

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 November 05 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

This family looks as if they could be of interest to you, the family found previously (1851) in Brinnington is not there in 1841.

HO107-114-3-Folio 46    Hillgate Stockport 2nd district St Mary's ward

James Swindells 40/45 labourer born in county
Martha Swindells 40/45
John Swindells 77
Alice Swindells 14
Nancy Booth 30 weaver
William Booth 6

There are several unmarried James Swindells around the age of 20 but nothing to suggest a connection to the above family, of the ones I found only one was living in Brinnington.

HO107-108-8-Page7 Back Water Street, Portwood ward, Brinnington

Edward Huck? 45/50 horsekeeper born in county
Charlotte Huck 40/45
James Swindells 20/25 male servant

hope this helps

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline karlowe1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 November 05 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
Thank you so very much for the lookup, yes it must be the family I am looking for.  There is definately a connection with the Booth family as William Booth is in the family grave.
I found a marriage on cheshire BMD last night with James Swindells and a Mary A Booth, who I hope is Mary Alice Booth and is the Alice referred to on the 1851 cencus.  I am going to apply for all the certificates now your lookup more or less confirms they are the right ones.  Thank you once again. Karen