Author Topic: HELP !!!! Any Inspector Morse out there !  (Read 1314 times)

Offline roy lees

• RootsChat Extra
  • Why did I start this Genealogy !!!
    • View Profile
HELP !!!! Any Inspector Morse out there !
« on: Friday 04 November 05 21:06 GMT (UK) »
 :(

Looking for any help/ information on either Charles Albert Mcknight or his father Herbert.

I have Charles's marriage certificate to Florence Walshaw on 17th July 1901 at Mirfield in Yorkshire, and he states his age as 26, a railway conductor, living in Fleetwood, with father Herbert Mcknight , a policeman.

A possible sighting on the 1901 census, is a Charles Mcknight, Boarder, aged 27, Place of birth Scotland (RG13/3418 page 12)

The only further information I have is A Family Group Record on the LDS site  with a Charles Albert Mcknight born Abt 1887 Forfar, Angus ,Scotland, marrying a Florence Walshaw about 1909 ( I know this was 1901, as above), and with a child Norman Mcknight(our Grandfather), so obviously someone was following the same family. All the dates were out by a few years, but is the place of birth correct?.

I have looked through all the Mcknights I can find on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk , but can't find a match for Charles or Herbert.

Any help would be gratefully received, and sorry for going on so much, but we have spent months trying to get this line. Florence is no problem , we have her family back to 1700

Thanks in anticipation

Roy
Manchester, Lancs : Raffo
Oldham, Lancs       : Lees
Shaw,Lancs           : Brazewell
Heckmondwike       : Walshaw
Heckmondwike       : Pickles
Bridport, Dorset     : Burbidge

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: HELP !!!! Any Inspector Morse out there !
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 November 05 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roy

On entering charles and Herbert McKnight in a search on the 1881 census discs, these are the only possibles that come up connected with Forfarshire:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Obviously not McKight - but since there are NO McKnights at all, worth investigating further?

Best of luck

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP !!!! Any Inspector Morse out there !
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 November 05 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ellen (and Roy),

I just looked on the free surname search on SP and there are hundreds of MCKNIGHT people in every census except 1881 where there are 0!  BUT a search for MC KNIGHT (i.e. with a space between the Mc and the Knight) brings up 0 in every census except 1881 where there are over 800.

Tricky, eh!

Whether the situation is the same on the 1881 census CDs I don't know - but worth a try!

JAP