Author Topic: Jackson family in Ireland  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Polly7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Jackson family in Ireland
« on: Saturday 05 November 05 09:10 GMT (UK) »
This is a long shot I know, but I'm looking for relatives to my ancestor Marshall Jackson - we believe from the Carlow / Wexford region.  He sailed to Canada in 1820 on the ‘The Commerce‘, landing December 20th. It is believed he travelled with Launcelot, Thomas and James Jackson. The father of these three Jackson boys was John Jackson, who served in the Crown Forces in the last battle stand of the rebels at Enniscorthy, County Wexford, at the Battle of Vinegar Hill and was killed on 21 July 1798.

Not sure how to even begin, but if someone has any interest in this Marshall Jackson, I'd dearly love to hear from you.
Annetts - Winterslow, Wiltshire, England
Jackson - Carlow / Wexford, Ireland
Bradley - Wexford, Ireland
Kendall - Bedfordshire, England

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson family in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 November 05 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Polly,

Lets have a shot at finding ancestors for you. A combination of Griffiths Valuation of Ireland (1848-64) plus Christian names in the family may help you to get back to 1820 and before.  The Valuation of Carlow took place in 1852. If you are able to establish the townland where the Jackson family originally lived in Ireland it might become easier to make further progress. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

Offline Polly7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 November 05 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher!

Thank you so much for the reply and the link!

I've looked it over, to no avail.  My Jackson ancestors supposedly had the custom of naming one son in each new family 'Marshall', and I realize this may or may not be true, but so far in each generation I have records on, it has been.  I couldn't find a single Marshall though on the site you posted.  Would you have any idea of how the Irish traditionally named their children?

Again, thanks so much for they reply.
Annetts - Winterslow, Wiltshire, England
Jackson - Carlow / Wexford, Ireland
Bradley - Wexford, Ireland
Kendall - Bedfordshire, England

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 November 05 03:39 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Polly,

This site may help point you in the right direction but I envisage a lengthy search. I have a couple of theories Polly. I hope one proves to be correct and both of them are not blown to smithereens the way the Norman Castle in Carlow was blown up in 1814. The name Marshall is obviously very important in the Jackson family. I feel that a daughter of a wealthy Marshall married a Jackson. I may well be jumping to conclusions but for a surname to be handed down from generation to generation for two hundred years indicates there was a strong link between the two families. I hope someone from Carlow or surrounding area reads this thread and is able to provide more information. The surname Marshal is still to be found in the town of Carlow. A William Marshall, Earl of Pembroke and Lord of Leinster,  built Carlow Castle in the 12th Century.  The Castle was handed over to the Crown in 1306 by William's grandnephew prior to his death. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm
www.ireland.com/explore/counties/carlow_t.htm
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlow
www.irishcultureandcustoms.com/ACounty/Carlow.html