Author Topic: Myers of Drigg or Ravenglass  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Jill Shaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Myers of Drigg or Ravenglass
« on: Saturday 05 November 05 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I have ancestors living at Mite House Drigg and Carleton on the 1881 and earlier censuses. Family tradition has that they actually lived in Ravenglass. My greatgrandmother Rebecca Myers was definitely a pupil at Muncaster school in 1874. The proprietors of the B&B which was formerly the school suggest she may have attended a private school held within Muncaster Castle, as the public school did not open until 1876. does anybody have information on this? Rebecca's father John is described on the census asborn in Levens Westmorland c.1827, but I cannot trace his birth. His father was Edward. Is this the one from Nether Wasdale, does anyone know?
Another puzzle is...what relationship was Frances Nicholson to John Myers and wife Ann? She is described as step-daughter (aged 12)on the 1881 census, but others more experienced in this research than myself say this can't be so. I'd be grateful for any information.

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
Re: Myers of Drigg or Ravenglass
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 November 05 01:39 GMT (UK) »
There was an Edward Myers in Nether Wasdale born about 1791 according to 1851 census

He had a family in 1851 of: a wife called Hannah aged 67 in 1851
and an Ann Stable "er also down as a wife ?? aged 57.  He was classed as a landed Proprietor.

Frances Nicholson isn't on the 1871 census

Ravenglass isn't actually that far away from Drigg, Carleton, Gosforth, or Nether Wasdale

Andrew
Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty