Author Topic: victorian photos  (Read 47501 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: victorian photos
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Initially I will scan fronts only, and transcribe any info.  Then I thought by request I would scan the backs.  I am hoping by putting them online that people will recognise a face or a name (if there is one) and can then ask me for more info, and if they're convinced that the photo is "one of theirs" then I'll post them the original photo for their collection.

If there are any interesting photographic types in there then I'll add them to another page as well, one that I'm planning on identifying different photo techniques.  This can help with dating photos.

What do you think?

Prue

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 20:17 GMT (UK) »
What do you think?

That you're going to have a lot of extremely well traveled photos on your hands!  ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Did they put the word ' priceless ' on the declaration sticker Jakky? Hope so. Had not realised they were travelling thousands of miles before getting to we Rootschatters. However, from what I have read they will be in the best of hands.  Thanks.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 November 05 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone.

I realise what a responsibility I've taken on, and assure you that I'm determined to share the pictures and hopefully some of the actual photos with Rootschatters, as Jakky wanted.  My scanner will be working overtime to get all the imaging done ASAP!  ;D

If you have any other ideas about how you'd like me to proceed, let me know.

Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 November 05 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Jakky and everyone,

Thought you'd like to know that the parcel of photographs arrived today!!  I've spent the last couple of hours going through them and grouping them according to towns, photographers, families...there are a few family groups but the vast majority of photos have no ID at all  :'(

I'll start scanning and uploading as soon as I can, and will let you know when there are some up on the web.

Thank you Jakky, for the wonderful opportunity to give these photos some life again, after all these years!  I only hope some of them get claimed by rellies and can "go home" at last!  :)

Prue

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 November 05 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks PrueM for the update..........appreciated.
Looking forward to some photographic delights.

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 November 05 22:50 GMT (UK) »
P
I take it as usual we are not so lucky and there are non of ours in the batch???
So glad they arrrived safely though!
So look forward to seeing them on line soon

Cuz xx
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline erthomas

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 05:38 GMT (UK) »
is there anywhere in particular that these photos are from?

erin
Baggett, Beedon, Boddaugh, Bowman<br />Cain, Cannell, Carpenter, Clague, Cottier, Cowen, Craine, Creer, Cubbon<br />Doyle<br />Hartrick<br />Juke<br />Kaighin<br />McLaughlin, Martin, Moore, Murphy<br />O'Boyle, O'Donnell, Owen(s)<br />Quilliam<br />Radcliffe, Ratzel<br />Semple, Sewell, Shimmin, Snider, Spence, Stevens<br />Taylor, Thomas<br />Walters, Watterson, Wells<br />Younker<br /><br />..............should i continue?  :P

Offline hlbradd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 06 December 05 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Erin

The link to the album set up is here:

http://victorian-photos.rootschat.net/

they appear to be from all over - any information on the photos as to who/where/etc is on a table on that site.

Helen  ;)
Warwickshire - ADKINS / KENNARD
Hertfordshire - BRADD / ROBLETT / THOROGOOD / WATSON
ABURN - BLANKS - BLOGG - BURGESS - FERRY - FREEMAN - GOODRICK - GOTTY -MEECH - MIDDLEDITCH -  RUSSELL - PLANT - THURSTON

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk